Center for Data Science
New Faculty 2020-2021
The Center for Data Science is a focal point for New York University’s university-wide initiative in data science and statistics, established to help advance NYU’s goal of creating the country’s leading data science training and research facilities, and arming researchers and professionals with tools to harness the power of Big Data. Because of the interdisciplinary nature of data science, the Center collaborates with many departments within NYU, including anthropology, biology, business, computer science, economics, education, information systems, law, linguistics, mathematics, physics, politics, psychology, public health, and sociology.
Christopher Policastro is Clinical Assistant Professor of Data Science. He received a B.S. in Mathematics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a Ph.D. in Mathematics from the University of California, Berkeley.
Policastro's research interests are in applied mathematics. He studies problems in analysis and probability related to machine learning. His work on optimal transport has led to an interest in various approaches to extracting information from large datasets. He teaches introduction to data science, Python programming, and introduction to machine learning courses.
Prior to joining NYU, Policastro gained some experience in industry as a programmer for a financial institution.
New Faculty by School
- Arts & Science
- College of Dentistry
- Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
- Division of Libraries
- Gallatin School of Individualized Study
- Leonard N. Stern School of Business
- NYU Abu Dhabi
- NYU Shanghai
- Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service
- Rory Meyers College of Nursing
- School of Global Public Health
- School of Professional Studies
- Silver School of Social Work
- Steinhardt School of Education, Culture, and Human Development
- Tandon School of Engineering
- Tisch School of the Arts