Preparing for the Interview Process
Prepare the faculty for the interview.
Be sure that all department faculty who will be involved in the interviews are aware of best practices for faculty searches.
- Invite all faculty members to participate in training from the Office of Equal Opportunity on “Best Practices for Inclusive Faculty Searches,” which includes information on avoiding unconscious bias.
- Be sure that all search committee members and all faculty members who will participate in interviews are familiar with the Do’s and Don’ts for interview questions. These questions are included in the NYU Recruiting and Hiring Policy and Procedure for Full-Time Faculty and for Professional Research Staff – New York, District of Columbia, & California.
Solicit feedback from faculty on candidates.
Search committees can share a worksheet for soliciting feedback on candidates (downloadable Google Doc) with the other faculty in the department, to invite their feedback on the candidates.
Provide information on NYU as a welcoming and supportive work environment.
This information should be shared with all candidates.
- Share the Why Join the NYU Faculty webpage
This webpage presents information on many helpful resources that make NYU an inclusive and supportive place for faculty. It is located on the Careers at NYU webpage under "Faculty and Researcher Careers." Please share this resource with all faculty candidates.
- Connect all candidates with NYU Work Life
This office is a valuable resource for candidates who have questions about child care, schools, older adult care, maternity leave, partner benefits, and other matters. Candidates may prefer to ask these questions of units other than the hiring department. Be sure to connect all candidates with Work Life, and volunteer to schedule a meeting.
- Support inquiries about dual careers
Search committees should not ask about marital or partner status. If, however, a candidate mentions that a spouse or partner will also be searching for employment, connect the candidate with Work Life and notify the department chair.
- Share the Office of Global Inclusion webpage
NYU’s commitment to building and strengthening a university-wide culture of diversity, inclusion, and equity led to the creation of the Office of Global Inclusion, Diversity, and Strategic Innovation (OGI). As part of the Office of the President, the Office of Global Inclusion provides expert consultation, resources, and innovative strategies to help guide the University—and its uniquely global and diverse student, faculty, staff, administration, and alumni communities—toward a more inclusive future. You can find a selection of past lectures and recorded events on the Office of Global Inclusion's YouTube channel, and stay up-to-date on programming that we have planned for the year ahead by following @nyuogi on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Connect all candidates with other faculty with similar experiences and interests.