The Establishment of a Dean Search Committee
Date: May 27, 2021
TO: The School of Global Public Health Community
FROM: President Andrew Hamilton and Provost Katherine Fleming
Following the announcement of Cheryl Healton’s plans to step down as the founding Dean of NYU School of Global Public Health (GPH), it was important to move forward to find a successor.
Public health matters are a pressing daily issue now for people around the world, the changes brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic are indelible, and the need for leadership in the field has never been greater. Moreover, as one of NYU’s most recently established schools, GPH's character, traditions, strengths, and reputation are still being formed. So, the work of the GPH Dean Search Committee is especially important.
We are pleased to share with you today the roster of NYU community members who will serve on the GPH Dean Search Committee. We are fortunate to have an excellent group of faculty, students, and administrators who have agreed to serve. We are especially pleased that Melody Goodman, Associate Dean for Research at GPH and Associate Professor of Biostatistics, will chair the Search Committee. The Search Committee members are:
- Melody Goodman, Associate Dean for Research and Associate Professor of Biostatistics, School of Global Public Health Committee Chair
- Yuyu (Ruby) Chen, MS recipient and PhD Student; School of Global Public Health
- Chris Dickey, Director of Global and Environmental Public Health and Clinical Associate Professor of Global Health; School of Global Public Health
- Amanda Garofalo, Director of Operations and Administration; School of Global Public Health
- S. Matthew Liao, Director of the Center for Bioethics and Arthur Zitrin Professor of Bioethics; School of Global Public Health
- Joyce Moon Howard, Director of Undergraduate Programs and Clinical Associate Professor of Community Health Science and Practice; School of Global Public Health
- Danielle C. Ompad, Associate Dean for Education and Associate Professor of Epidemiology; School of Global Public Health
- Niyati Parekh, Executive Director of Doctoral Studies and Associate Professor of Public Health Nutrition; School of Global Public Health
- Diana Silver, Associate Professor of Public Health Policy and Management; School of Global Public Health
- Stacie Bloom, Vice Provost for Research; Provost’s Office
- Marc N. Gourevitch, Chair of the Department of Population Health, the Muriel G. and George W. Singer Professor of Population Health, Professor of Medicine, and Professor of Psychiatry; Grossman School of Medicine
- Jack H. Knott, Gale and Ira Drukier Dean of the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
- Ellen Schall, Senior Presidential Fellow; President’s Office
- Clay Shirky, Vice Provost for Educational Technologies; Provost’s Office
Given the knowledge many of you have of the field and its most outstanding professionals, we also want to invite you to submit names for the Search Committee to review. Candidates’ names can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are very grateful to the members of the Search Committee, who are taking on this essential task in addition to their existing heavy load of duties, and we ask the entire GPH community to join us in thanking them and in wishing them success.