Easy IRA Gifts
A Qualified Charitable Distribution can make it easy for donors to minimize the tax bite of the required minimum distribution if one is due.
This tax-free IRA-to-charity transfer is an important opportunity for donors who:
- Plan to make charitable donations
- Don't need the money from a distribution
- Want to support our mission
Qualified Charitable Distribution Requirements
The tax benefits associated with Qualified Charitable Distributions from IRAs directly to charity are subject to precise and specific requirements:
- a minimum age—the donor must be at least 70½
- a maximum amount—no more than $100,000 per year (annual aggregate limit)
- a qualified public charity—no gifts to private foundations, or to set up donor-advised funds or split-interest charitable trusts
- a direct transfer—money must be moved directly from the IRA account to the charity
Satisfy Required Minimum Distributions
Qualified Charitable Distributions count toward a donor’s required minimum distribution (RMD) if one is due. Contributions to your IRA after age 70½ can impact the amount eligible for a tax-free transfer.