Violet Valentine 2022
A Sweet Treat - The Official Strawberry Fest Shortcake Recipe
It's months away from Strawberry Fest, NYU's sweetest annual tradition of coming together for a slice of New York's longest strawberry shortcake. Give the official recipe a try, share with loved ones, and enjoy!
NYU Strawberry Fest Shortcake, serves 6 – 8
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar (divided use)
- 3/4 cups hot water
- grated rind of 2 lemons
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 egg whites beaten until stiff, but not dry
- 1 cup pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- Grease the insides of two 8 inch cake pans and coat with flour. Set aside, not next to the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Beat the egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. While beating the eggs slowly add 1 cup of sugar. Mix in the hot water, lemon rind, lemon juice, salt and baking powder and the rest of the sugar.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites. Once thoroughly incorporated, sift the flours over the batter and fold them.
- Pour the batter into pans and bake in the center of the oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Heavy/whipping cream
- Organic strawberries
- Put the whipping cream in a bowl and whip using an electric beater, stand mixer or immersion blender to until soft peaks form.
- Remove the cakes from the pan by inverting on to a plate or cake stand. Spread the cakes heavily with whipped cream and cover with sliced strawberries.
- Spread the strawberries with more whipped cream and then place the top layer on the cake. Spread the top with more whipped cream and place sliced strawberries on top. Serve at once.