Solas Nua, in collaboration with the NYU Brademas Center and NYU Washington, DC, presented Home + Discordance = US, an exhibition that explored the idea of the US as a place of “home”.
Opening night included live artist performances by Heloisa Escudero and Tsedaye Makonnen, story-telling by Sheldon Scott, and call-and-response poetry by Holly Brass. Information on each of the artists featured in this exhibition can be found here.
This exhibition and series made possible by the DC Commission on the Arts & Humanities, Glucksman Ireland House of New York University, and the Embassy of Ireland.
- Exhibition in main lobby and performances throughout the evening. Light refreshments provided.
- Performances by Heloisa Escudero and Tsdaye Makonnen in the lobby.
- Video essay, Normalcy in the States, by Hoesy Corona
- Storytelling by Sheldon Scott
- Interactive call and response poetry by Holly Bass
- Digital animation, The Time Has Come..., by René Treviño
Solas Nua, ‘new light’ in Irish, is the only organization in the United States dedicated exclusively to contemporary Irish arts. Based in Washington, D.C., their mission is to bring the best new Irish artistic talent to American audiences.
Glucksman Ireland House NYU is the center for Irish and Irish-American Studies at New York University. With courses in history, Irish language, literature, music, and politics, their mission is to foster excellence in the study of Ireland, Irish America and the Irish Diaspora in New York and the global communities.