Tuesdays, 6-10 PM, room 651, Fall 2005
Besser & Ann Harris
Introduction to Moving Image
& Preservation H72.1800
Oct 4 Collection Management Issues
Assignments due before class:
- Prepare for in-class presentation
of Case Study of Production
Paper On Conservation & Preservation In Collecting Institutions
- Whitson, Helene and Gerry Yeager, "Arrangement
Description" in Steven Davidson and Gregory Lukow, The
Administration of Television Newsfilm and Videotape Collections: A
Curatorial Manual, Los Angeles: American Film Institute (1997), p.
127 - 148.
- Annette Melville, ed., "Film
Handling", The Film Preservation Guide, San
Francisco: The Film Preservation Foundation, 2004, pp 19-33.
- Newborg, Gerald G., "A Case Study: Newsfilm
Project at The State Historical Society of North Dakota" in Steven
Davidson and Gregory Lukow, The Administration of Television
Newsfilm and Videotape Collections: A Curatorial Manual, Los
Angeles: American Film Institute (1997), p. 59 - 68.
- Further Readings
- Guest: Linda Tadic, ArtSTOR Director of Operations,
Instructor for our Collections
Management class, and Chair of AMIA's Digital Initiatives Committee
- Introduction to Collection Management
- Appraisal, selection, description, sorting, organizing
- Intro to cataloging and value of description (EAD, MARC, DBs,
- What is the impact of appraisal and selection (or the lack
thereof) on what gets preserved?
- What are practices for tracking information about moving
- What are other typical tasks in collection management of
- How might they differ for moving image/sound materials and
other materials such as paper or photographs?
- Introduction to Risk Assessment for Film/Video/New Media
- Film Inspection, Introduction to film repair tools, and
Introduction to storage of moving images collections
- Projection basics
- Current Events
DVD support a last minute switch, Microsoft says, Scott M. Fulton,
III, Tom's Hardware Guide, September 27, 2005
DVDs: Panic in Year Zero!, Last Man on Earth, NY Times, Sept 27,
Deep for Digital; A Bet on 3-D Movies to Push Theaters Beyond Celluloid,
NY Times, Sept 26, 2005
& Rescue, by Tim O'Reilly, NY Times, Sept 27, 2005
the Ad Turns Into the Story Line: On Television, Brands Go From Props
to Stars, NY Times, Oct 2, 2005
in an Enigma, Hidden in a Film Archive, NY Times, Oct 2, 2005
For Next Week
- Prepare for in-class presentation of Case Study of
Production History assignment during October 11th class. The written
version of the report is also due on the 11th.