Tuesdays, 6-10 PM,
room 651, Fall 2004
Besser & Ann Harris
Introduction to Moving Image
& Preservation H72.1800
Oct 19 Film
Assignments due before class:
- Take Tour of Cineric
-- Fri Oct 22, 11:30-1:30
- Take Tour of Vidipax
Oct 21 12:00-1:30 or Fri Oct 22 2:00-3:30
- Gracy, Karen.
"Documenting the Process
Moving Image 3:1 (Spring 2003), pp 1-41
- Read, Paul and
Mark-Paul Meyer. "Introduction
the Restoration of Motion Picture Film" and "Menschen am Sonntag--a
Reconstruction and Documentation Case Study", Restoration of
Motion Picture Film, Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2000, pp
1-5 and pp 231-241
- Gartenberg, Jon,
"The Fragile Emulsion", The
Image 2:2 (Fall 2002), pp 142-152
- Frye, Brian. "The
An Interview with Bill Brand", Film History 15:2 (2003),
- Screen Sound Australia
Preservation Handbook (parts you havenít read yet)
Sound Australia Film Preservation Handbook (first
5 sections: Film Construction through Damage to Film)
- Baker, Nicholson.
(1996) The Size of
Random House, pp. 36-50 "The Projector."
- Blasko, Edward,
ed., The Book of Film Care, Rochester: Eastman Kodak,
- Eastman Kodak,
"Dealing With a Laboratory", Motion Picture Film,
Rochester: Eastman Kodak, 2000.
- Look through
issues of FIAF's Journal
of Film Preservation
- Review some of
the resources listed in
of Motion Picture Film
- Guest Speaker: Ray Edmondson discussing his Audiovisual Archiving:
Philosophy and Principles
- Continuation of Risk Assessment and introduction to storage
- Standards and Recommended Practices: SMPTE (Society of Moving Picture and
Guide for Acetate Film by James M. Reilly, published by the Image
Guide for Color Photographic Materials by James M. Reilly,
by the University of the State of New York, New York State Education
New York State Library, the New York State Program for the Conservation
and Preservation of Library Research Materials
Quick Reference by Peter Z. Adelstein, published by Image
Celeste Bartos Film Preservation Center
Museum of Modern Art in Hamlin, Pennsylvania
- What is the
selection (or the lack thereof) on what gets preserved?
- What are
about moving images?
- What are
tasks in collection
management of archival collections?
- How might
materials and other materials such as paper or photographs?
- Knowing more about film artifacts, what
tell you about risks to the material? What about its needs for
- What are some of the major issues with film preservation?
- screening: CAPTAIN CELLULOID VS. THE FILM PIRATES,
(excerpt) 7 min.
- look at:
- How is the language of film preservation defined? How do we
differentiate among the terms preservation, conservation,
restoration and reconstruction?
- What are the major tasks in film preservation?
- What is the cost of film preservation?
- What is the role of the film laboratory?
- screening: MOVING IMAGES FOR THE FUTURE (Film Technology
Company Promo Tape), 20 min.
- discussion of visit to Cineric
- Film Preservation Case Studies
- Preservation of Independent Experimental Films
- Feature Film Preservation--Metropolis and Menschen
- screening: METROPOLIS: THE DIGITAL RESTORATION, 10
- Current Events:
- Changing Technological Aparatus -- A Face
That Launched a Thousand Chips, NY Times, Oct 24,
- Patents --Patent
Protection Gone Awry, Hal Varian, NY Times, Oct 21,
Labels Said to Be Next on Spitzer List for Scrutiny, NY Times, Oct
- save images with or without adverts? -- Clash
Over Internet Sports Photos, NY Times, Oct 25,
- , NY Times, Oct 21,
- Friday Oct 29 Ray Edmondson
speaks, room 656, 5:30. International
aspects of moving image archiving