Tuesdays, 6-10 PM, room 651, Fall 2004
Besser & Ann Harris
Introduction to Moving Image
& Preservation H72.1800
Sept 21 Modes and Artifacts of Moving Image
Video and New Media; Issues of Risk Assessment with all forms of Moving
Image Works (AH)
Assignments due before class:
- Packer, Randall and Ken Jordan (eds.) "Overture" in Multimedia:
Wagner to Virtual Reality (2001), p. xiii - xxxi.
- Besser, Howard (1994). Fast
Forward: The Future of Moving Image Collections , in Gary
(ed.), Video Collection Management and Development: A Multi-Type
Perspective, Westport, CT: Greenwood, p. 411-426.
- Roosa, Mark, "Videotape Analysis and
Adelstein, Peter, "Videotape Storage" in Playback: A Preservation
for Video (1998), p.5-17. On reserve in Bobst Library.
- Further Readings
- American Library
Preservation: A Selected Annotated Bibliography and Brief Summary of
Practices" (7 March 2003)
- National Institute of
Technology and Care and Council on Library and Information Resources. Handling
Guide for the Preservation of CDs and DVDs, NIST Special
500-252, May 2003
- Canter, Marc "The New Workstation: CD ROM Authoring Systems" in Multimedia:
>From Wagner to Virtual Reality (2001), p. 179-188.
- Who makes/has made new media? What
as a result of the production? What gets saved and is lost?
- Knowing more about film/video/sound/new
what does that tell you about risks to the materials? What about their
needs for description and care?
- New Media
- Discussion of Rick
Prelinger Talk and Prelinger
Archives (15 min)
- How Film Projectors Work...Inside a 16mm projector and a
Tour of the Projection Booth
- How Video Works, Structure of Video, History and
Identification of Video Formats (45 min)
- Introduction to New Media & Installation Works
- Introduction to Risk Assessment for Film/Video/New Media
- Current Events (20 min)
- Recent important news articles
- Assignment for next week
- Come prepared with questions for panel on conservation
issues, next Tuesday at 6:00pm
- Be ready to
explain how far you've gotten on your Case-Study projects