April 6, 2011
Garden Shop Spring Photo Contest
November 9, 2010
Socially Conscious AND Tasty Cafe Debuts at NYU Wagner
April 13, 2010
NYU Celebrates the 40th anniversary of Earth Day
March 12, 2010
NYU Releases Climate Action Plan to Reduce Carbon Footprint
February 11, 2010
NYU Announces Sustainability 'Green Grant' Recepients for 2010
December 12, 2009
Copenhagen in NYC: Food & Climate Policy Conference at NYU
September 21, 2009
NYU Nationally Recognized for Commitment to Sustainability
June 3, 2009
NYU Residence Halls Leave It “Green”
September 10, 2008
NYU Welcomes the "Solar Taxi" to Washington Square
August 18, 2008
Stern Campus Greening Initiative Wins Net Impact Green Challenge
August 12, 2008
NYU Holds Groundbreaking Ceremony for New Co-Generation Plant
April 29, 2008
Green Apple Move-Out
April 17, 2008
Check Out NYU Earth Week Events!
January 31, 2008
11:00-9:00 Focus the Nation at NYU
January 30, 2008
Spring Sustainability Projects and Events
January 25, 2008
EPA Recognizes NYU for Leading Green Power Purchase
January 25, 2008
On January 31st, over a thousand colleges and universities will be participating in the largest teach-in in US history: a national day of climate change action called Focus the Nation.
At NYU, we will use this day to engage faculty, students and staff from disciplines across the curriculum, in contributing to a national conversation about global warming.
This is going to be the biggest event ever on climate change at NYU, and we need you to be there! For detailed information and all day events schedule, visit Focus the Nation page here.
December 18, 2008
Second Annual NYU Green Grants Now Open for Submissions
November 27, 2007
- It's nearly time for the Sustainability Task Force Green Grants, funding campus greening project proposals from NYU students, faculty and staff that directly reduce NYU's adverse environmental impacts, educate and engage the university community, demonstrate the viability of best practices and technologies, and further applied research or educational goals. You can read about last year's funded projects here.
November 16, 2007
- The Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef
will bring together a confluence of visual art, advanced mathematics, and conservation biology. NYU and the Sustainability Task Force are co-sponsoring an art exhibition and collaborative series of workshops that will involve the community in crocheting coral reefs. We hope you'll participate, and keep an eye out for the art display facing Washington Square Park this spring.
November 15, 2007
- Footprint Forward Week
encompassed a diverse and exciting series of events, co-sponsored by the NYU Bronfman Center and the Green Arch Initiative. Events were open to the entire community, and included a presentation by "No Impact Man" Colin Beavan; a panel including NYU's celebrity chef Jeramie Garlick; community "green mapping"; bulb-planting in Washington Square Park, and more.
November 14, 2007
- America Recycles Day
Don't forget to recycle, including emptying your purple deskside paper bin into the central bin on your floor or hall. Click here for a flier about NYU Recycling to be posted in your area or on your floor.
November 10, 2007
- Real Food Summit and Power Shift 2007 are two conferences that the group of students participated in early November. Students returned with valuable information and experiences that will aid our efforts to green the campus, and they will be working with the Food and Outreach subcommittees, respectively, to implement some of their ideas.
October 31, 2007
- The NYU Sustainability Task Force now has its own page, with background on the group's past and current projects. As the Task Force enters its second year, members old and new have been participating in meetings of both the full Task Force and its subcommittees. On the page, you'll find more details about our work this year, as well as subcommittee contact information and mission statements.
Because we strive for the greening of NYU to be as effective and transparent a process as possible, the Task Force will evaluate the university's progress in implementing last year's recommendations on an ongoing basis. You are encouraged to check back regularly for updates on newly-implemented projects and policies.
October 22, 2007
- EPA Recognizes NYU for Leading Purchase of Green Power
September 12, 2007
- We hope you've had a chance to read Executive Vice President Michael Alfano's memo which was sent in an email direct to the entire university community. The memo lays out several new and exciting initiatives to launch the second year of NYU's sustainability effort.
Find out more about our new initiatives, and what you can do to participate:
- Sustainability Advocate Program
- Environmental Assessment
- Energy Strategy
August 27, 2007
- Welcome Week 2007: Student Resource Center has taken the lead with a series of sustainability-related events for new and returning students. Events include the Students' Guide to Green Living, Recycling at NYU, Biking the Big Apple, Gardening projects, and getting veg-ucated about food options... Check out the Welcome Week program calendar for more information.
The Educating for Sustainability lecture series is coming up. This series is sponsored by the new Environmental Studies Program. The first event will feature noted environmental educator Stephanie Pfirman (RSVP) on Tuesday, September 11 at 6:00PM. The second will feature climate change expert and ecologist Phil Camill (RSVP) on Monday, October 15 at 6:00PM. Please RSVP and attend.
June 1, 2007
- The NYU Sustainability Task Force is pleased to announce the release of its Annual Report and Recommendations to the University Administration. This comprehensive report reflects the hard work and effort of 45 NYU students, faculty, administrators and staff who have worked throughout the year to develop campus sustainability.
It includes an overview of the university's efforts and new initiatives this past year, and more importantly, a set of project and policy recommendations developed by each of the Task Force's Subcommittees. Each recommendation is crafted to guide NYU forward on the journey to a sustainable future.
A complete copy is available here: Annual Report and Recommendations to the University Administration, 2007. Here you can view the cover letter to Dr. Alfano.
Also today, New York University President John Sexton announced the university's official contribution to Mayor Bloomberg's PlaNYC 2030 initiative. As a Challenge Partner, NYU commits to reducing our greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent over the next 10 years. See the Press Release for details.
April 30, 2007
- NYU Hires Cecil Scheib as Director of Energy and Sustainability!
March 27, 2007
- Local Community Board Votes Support for Site of New NYU Co-Gen Plant
February 12, 2007
- NYU Launches Sustainability Fund, Releases RFP to University Community
October 5, 2006
- Dr. Alfano's complete presentation
New York University Executive Vice President Michael C. Alfano presented a charge for the NYU community to become more "green." This challenge has resulted in the creation of the NYU Sustainability Task Force and subsequently the Green Action Plan.