Join the Community
Despite the fact that most bicycles are built for one there are dozens of opportunities available for you to network, organize, ride, and share resources with your fellow cyclists at NYU and in the city. Here's just a few:
- Bike NYU organizes casual group rides and cycling events on campus. This new group is rapidly gaining members and is a terrific place to meet other cyclists at NYU. Send a blank email to to join the listserv.
- The NYU Cycling Team is a terrific group for more competitive cyclists who train together, go for regular group rides, and compete against other colleges and universities in the region.
- The NYU Bike Share is always looking for volunteers to help us maintain and improve our fleet of free rental bikes.
- Bike New York is a non-profit whose mission is to promote and encourage bicycling and bicycle safety through education, public events, and collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing America's largest cycling event, the 42-mile, traffic-free Five Boro Bike Tour, they also put on regional rides outside NYC, offer free classes to the public, and develop customized bicycle safety and education programs in and around New York City. Check out a free class or consider volunteering.
- Transportation Alternatives is NYC's leading legislative advocacy organization for cyclists, pedestrians, and public transit. TransAlt organizes a number of major rides including the NYC Century Bike Tour. Their website also provides an extremely impressive collection of legal resources for cyclists. Consider becoming a member and getting a whole bunch of sweet discounts on bike stuff throughout the city.
- Recycle A Bicycle is a community-based bike shop and non-profit organization that provides educational/job training programs and encourages environmental stewardship and everyday bicycle use. Through programs such as Earn-A-Bike, Ride Club, Cycle Craft, and Summer Youth Employment Program, RAB is dedicated to the health and well-being of NYC youth. Consider volunteering or donating your old bicycle or equipment.
- Times Up! NYC is a direct action environmental organization with a commitment to community based bicycle projects including themed group rides, mechanic classes, and open workshop hours at their Williamsburg and Lower East Side locations.