Learning Assistants (LAs):
Learning Assistants are academic tutors. LAs work with peers in one-to-one sessions to help students become better learners, tackling difficult material with them or breaking down concepts to help students identify the source of their difficulties. LAs help clarify the material and offer their own perspectives on learning it. LAs must keep up with material in any class for which they tutor.
Additionally, Learning Assistants also design, develop, and/or lead a variety of workshops, group tutoring sessions, or review sessions. Their portfolio may include:
- Peer Tutor (PT) Leaders: PT leaders are Learning Assistants whose duties include leading General Chemistry (or other science) PTs.
- Bio Bits Leaders: Learning Assistants plan and lead mini-review sessions weekly, tracking the progress of the course.
- Organic Chemistry LA: Some Learning Assistants may be selected to attend the section of Organic Chemistry reserved for majors.
- Course specific support, which will include workshop development and leadership.
- English Language Support.
- Academic Coaching.