Just got accepted to NYU? Congratulations! Follow these steps to learn how to get your F-1 or J-1 visa to enter the US in student status.

The information contained on this page is for general information purposes only. Due to frequent government updates, NYU OGS may make additions, deletions, or modifications to the contents on this page at any time without prior notice.

Please note, these directions are meant to help you in completing your application but should not be considered legal advice. The US Department of State ultimately provides the decision on your visa application.

Step 1. Prepare your documents


Receive your admission letter (or electronic version) from NYU.

To be eligible for NYU sponsorship of F-1 or J-1 student status, you need to be accepted to a full-time academic program at NYU and have an official admission notice from NYU along with an NYU University ID number. You are not eligible for NYU sponsorship if your program of study consists of only online courses. If you are not yet admitted to NYU and have questions about how to apply, please visit NYU Admissions.


Activate your NYU NetID and NYU email.

  • If you don’t already know your NetID, learn your NYU NetID.
  • If you already know your NetID, go to to activate it.
  • Enter your NetID and click the “Start!” button.


Decide if you will apply for F-1 or J-1 status.

In order to study at NYU, you will need to obtain a student status for the US NYU sponsors international students for either F-1 or J-1 student status. Read about your options below and decide which status works best for you.

Step 2. Apply for an I-20 or DS-2019


Complete your I-20 or DS-2019 Application

Fill out the I-20/DS-2019 Application for Newly Admitted Students online. To access the application you will need to have your NYU ID number. This is the number you received from NYU that starts with "N" and is followed by 8 numbers, for example, N12345678. You will also need your NYUHome/email address password. Review the application checklist information to ensure you have all you need to successfully complete the online application.

*You must be logged into your NYU email account in order to access the application. If you're logged into your NYU account and you still have problems, please:

  • Make sure you have paid your tuition deposit to the NYU school you were admitted to.
  • If you have paid the deposit, wait 2 business days and try to access the application again at that time.
  • If you are still unable to access the application, please email Be sure to include your NYU ID number, NYU school of admission, and country of citizenship in your email message.
If you have any problems submitting the online request, review our troubleshooting tips.


Save your application and supporting documents for your records.

  • Keep a photocopy of your I-20/DS-2019 Application and all attached documents for your records.
  • Keep a set of original financial documents to bring to your visa interview.


Receive your I-20/DS-2019.

Once we receive your application we will start working on your I-20 or DS-2019. We’ll email you if your application is missing anything so make sure to check your NYU email while you’re waiting for your document.

Approximately 2 weeks after submitting a complete application, you will receive your I-20 or DS-2019. Be sure to read all of the material we send you, as we will be sending you other important information you need to know!

Step 3. Apply for your student visa


Pay the SEVIS fee.

Once you’ve received your I-20 or DS-2019, you will need to pay a SEVIS fee to the US Department of Homeland Security. In order to pay, complete the Form I-901 along with the payment via mail or the Internet (dependents in F-2 or J-2 status are not required to pay the fee).The SEVIS fee must be paid at least 3 business days prior to a visa interview or the filing of the change of status application in the US. Learn more about the SEVIS fee.


Apply for and receive an F-1 or J-1 student visa.

Use your I-20 or DS-2019 issued by NYU to apply for your visa. Review these NAFSA tips on applying for a student visa, then apply for a student visa from a United States consulate in your country of citizenship or country of permanent residence. The application process includes a short interview in English, the application form DS-160 and the application fee. Sign up to attend one of our upcoming webinars on the visa application and interview: what to expect. Register and get more information by clicking the links below.

For any newly admitted international student who is a citizen of one of the banned countries included in the revised March 6 Executive Order, we can issue an I-20 or DS-2019 if and when you apply for a document from our office, but you may have difficulties in applying for a visa during this time. Please contact us if you experience difficulties. If you are currently in the US at another college or university, you will still be able to transfer your SEVIS record to us during this time. Learn more about the Executive Order by clicking the link below.

Upcoming Information Sessions:


Learn more about entering the US.

Once you have your F-1 or J-1 student visa, you can enter the US with your I-20 or DS-2019 and F-1 or J-1 visa. But remember, you can enter the US no more than 30 days before and no later than the beginning date indicated on your I-20 or DS-2019.

Read on to find out what you will need to do to successfully plan your trip to enter the US in F-1 or J-1 status.


You can also watch our YouTube video on Coming to the US to see an overview of the process.