If you change majors, or if you change programs to a higher or lower degree level you will need a new I-20 from the OGS. Read on for details on how to get a new I-20 depending on your situation.
J-1 students sponsored by NYU who will change programs must speak with an OGS advisor once admitted to a new program.
Students dropping to a lower degree level must speak with an OGS advisor during our walk-in advising hours about this change.
How to apply
If you are changing majors at the same degree level and at the same campus:
We will issue a new I-20 for you once the information is in Albert (typically two months after the start of the semester that your new major takes effect). You won’t need to submit anything to the OGS. We will email you when your new I-20 is ready. If you think you will need more time to finish your degree because of your change in major, be sure to review our information on extending your program.
If you are completing one program/degree level, beginning another program, and are remaining at the same campus:
Complete the F-1 Change of Program Request Form to update your immigration record and get a new I-20.
Note: If you are authorized for OPT, it automatically ends when you begin study at another educational level.
If you are changing majors or degree level, and are moving to or from the Tandon School of Engineering:
Complete the F-1 Internal Transfer Request Form to transfer your immigration record and get a new I-20.
If you are completing your program at the American Language Institute (ALI), and will begin your program at NYU:
Please compile these documents:
- A completed F-1 Record Transfer Request Form signed by both Mary Chung at ALI and your academic advisor.
- A copy of your passport photo page.
- A copy of bank statements proving you have sufficient funds to pay for one year at NYU. Find your school’s estimated expenses.
- A copy of your I-94.
- Photocopies of your current I-20 and all previous I-20s.
- A receipt showing you paid for the $50 application fee. There is no need to pay the fee again if you've previously had an I-20 from the Office of Global Services.
When you compile these documents, please scan them, and save them as a single pdf file.
You should email the file to email@example.com. If you will begin your program at the Tandon School of Engineering, email the file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please write on the subject line: "I-20 application ALI to OGS transfer."