Skip to All NYU Navigation Skip to Main Content

Renew Your US Visa

American Visa

If your visa has expired, you need to get a new visa from a US consulate or embassy outside of the US. You can’t apply for a new visa inside the US. Learn about the documents you need to compile for your new visa application at

To Better Prepare

Visit the website of the US consulate you plan to apply at. You may also want to read the Department of State information on visa denials, and tips on how to apply for a visa.

Review information on how to make a visa appointment, and to check on visa wait times in the city you plan to apply. If you have applied for a visa and have been waiting for more than one month for the results of a security advisory opinion, be sure to contact us.

At the minimum, you will need the following to apply*:



An unexpired passport valid at least six months into the future.

I-20 or DS-2019

I-20 or DS-2019

A valid I-20 or DS-2019, which has been signed for travel.

Proof of financial support

Proof of Financial Support

Proof of financial support as reflected on the I-20 or DS-2019. This may include personal or family bank statements, an affidavit of support, or copies of your fellowship or scholarship letter.

Enrollment verification

Enrollment Verification

Proof of full-time enrollment in the form of an NYU enrollment verification.

SEVIS Fee Receipt

SEVIS Fee Receipt

Proof that you have paid the SEVIS fee. Get your SEVIS fee receipt.

* Make sure to check the full list of required documents.