Congratulations on graduating! What comes next? Find out what your employment options are, what you need to travel back into the US if you're staying on to work, and alumni resources to keep you connected to NYU.
How long you can stay in the US
If you decide to work within the US, you can stay here for as long as your work authorization remains valid. If you choose to instead leave the US without working
- F-1 students can stay in the US for up to 60 days after completing studies.
- J-1 students can stay in the US for up to 30 days.
Employment and Travel
Options for students who are graduating
- If you're an F-1 student and want to work, you must apply for OPT within a month of completing your studies.
- If you're a J-1 student and want to work, you must apply for Academic Training before you complete your studies.
- If you are staying on at NYU to do another academic program, apply for a new I-20 or DS-2019 on our Change Major or Degree page.
- If you are starting an academic program at another school within the US, learn how to Transfer out of NYU.