Course evaluations help promote a culture of dialogue around the importance of teaching and learning to the NYU community. Faculty can use feedback generated through the evaluations to reflect on their teaching practices and curriculum design, and evaluation results also provide students with information to help steer their academic choices.
Course evaluations have been part of the NYU landscape for decades, but their design and their use has differed from school to school. To give both students and faculty a more consistent experience, NYU is moving to a common, University-wide platform for the design, delivery, and distribution of course evaluations.
- Course Evaluations in Albert
- Guides for Students
- Guides for Faculty
- General FAQ
In May 2012, the Faculty Senators Council (FSC), in response to a request from the Student Senators Council (SSC), issued a unanimous resolution recommending that all NYU schools make course evaluation results available to all NYU students. In response to this resolution, and at the request of the Provost, the Undergraduate Academic Affairs Committee (UAAC) took up the question of student course evaluations in 2013-4, issuing an advisory in 2014 to develop a uniform course evaluation process for undergraduate courses. Read more about the history of the project.
The Albert platform provides a seamless evaluation experience across schools, offering common evaluation questions, platform and result access. There are a number of benefits to having a uniform and transparent course evaluation process, such as:
- using a common set of questions and a common online platform will reduce confusion among students who take, evaluate, and review evaluation results for courses across the University; and
- publishing results in a single location will give students a more reliable and more easily accessible means for selecting courses.
Course evaluations for certain schools are now in Albert, all undergraduate (and some graduate) schools will be using the Albert platform by the end of spring 2018.
Schools currently using Albert Course Evaluations:
- College of Arts and Science
- College of Global Public Health (Undergraduate and Graduate)
- Center for Urban Science and Progress
- Global Programs
- Liberal Studies
- NYU Abu Dhabi
- NYU Shanghai
- School of Professional Studies (Undergraduate, Graduate, and Non-Credit)
- Silver School of Social Work (Undergraduate only)
- Tandon School of Engineering (Undergraduate and Graduate)
- Tisch School of the Arts (Undergraduate and select Graduate Departments)
- Wagner Graduate School of Public Service