If you would like the university to return loan funds that have been disbursed to us, or for which you have received a refund check, please complete a Request to Return Loan Funds form. Please attach the refund check, if applicable when submitting the form. 

Parent Plus Loan Borrowers who wish to return loan funds would have to obtain the form from the student.

Please include a copy of your photo ID with this form when requesting loan funds to be returned. Forms that are not signed or not accompanied with a copy of a photo ID will not be processed.

NOTE: New York University can only return Federal Direct Loan funds if the disbursement date (the date the funds post on your account) has not exceeded 120 days. Please round the amount you would like to return to the lender to the nearest dollar.

*Please allow 5 business days for processing.

If you wish to cancel all or part of any disbursement of your loan more than 120 days after it was disbursed, you are actually repaying part of your loan and you must pay any accrued interest and/or fees. You may make a payment directly to your federal loan servicer.

Borrowers are assigned to a loan servicer by the U.S. Department of Education. If you are not sure which of the centers is your assigned servicer, visit and log into the federal government’s National Student Loan Data System to determine your servicer. You may also call 1-800-4-FED-AID to locate your servicer.