Stressbusters is an incredibly fun and far-reaching community wellness program. It trains and dispatches volunteer teams of undergrad and grad students to provide FREE five-minute backrubs and stress information to other NYU students. According to a 2004 University of Illinois review of 37 studies on the effects of backrubs and massages, the types of brief backrubs provided by Stressbusters can reduce anxiety, blood pressure, and heart rate.*
There are exciting new changes happening with the Stressbusters program. In addition to providing backrubs, Stressbusters will now have the opportunity to participate in a new component of the program: researching stress on campus. According to the 2015 American College Health Association National College Health Assessment survey, stress is the primary impediment to academic success for students at NYU. As a Stressbusters member, you now have the chance to explore this issue on a deeper level. If you are interested in becoming a part of the research team, please apply below!
Although we will continue to do our weekly events, we are pausing our request process for this school year (2017-2018). We appreciate your support in this transition and will reach out personally to our dedicated partners and group members.
The Stressbusters program holds weekly events for NYU students during Fall and Spring semesters. (Events begin during the third week of classes and end during the last week of classes.)
- Take a Break Tuesday (starting September 19th)
Center for Student Life (Kimmel Center, 7th Floor, Front Lounge)
- Wind Down Wednesday (starting September 20th)
Palladium Residence Hall Main Lobby (by the elevators)
-Apply now to become an NYU Stressbuster! The requirements are stress-free:
- Participate in a brief interview with a current Stressbuster.
- Attend a Stressbusters training session to learn and practice basic backrub techniques and find out about NYU and Student Health Center wellness resources (training is held once per semester).
- Fall 2017 Training Dates (choose one):
Tuesday, October 17th, 5-9 PM
Thursday, October 19th, 5-9 PM
- Participate in Stressbusters events for at least 7 hours per semester.
“It’s a good way to get students to take five minutes out of their schedules to look after themselves.” – Maura Dentino, NYU Stories
"...the Stressbusters program is a perfect study break: it takes only five minutes, and it leaves you relaxed and refreshed." – NYU Local
“The experience you provided to our students was unbelievable. I cannot thank you enough for your service.” – Event Requestor
“This was the best part of my day!” – Student Backrub Recipient
* Moyer CA, Rounds J, Hannum JW. A meta-analysis of massage therapy research. Psychol Bull. 2004;130(1):3–18.