Stressbusters is an incredibly fun and far-reaching community wellness program. It trains and dispatches volunteer teams of undergrad and grad students to provide FREE five-minute backrubs and stress information to other students at campus events, residence halls, organization meetings, libraries and wherever else the stressed gather – day and night.
According to a 2004 University of Illinois review of 37 studies on the effects of backrubs and massages, the types of brief backrubs provided by Stressbusters can reduce anxiety, blood pressure, and heart rate.*
The Stressbusters program holds weekly events for NYU students during fall and spring semesters. (Events begin during the second week of classes and end during the last week of classes.)
- Take a Break Tuesday
Center for Student Activities, Leadership & Service (Kimmel Center, 7th Floor)
- Wind Down Wednesday
Lipton (Hayden) Commuter Den, 33 Washington Square West
Apply now to become an NYU Stressbuster! The requirements are stress-free:
- Participate in a brief interview with a current Stressbuster.
- Attend a Stressbusters training session to learn and practice basic backrub techniques and find out about NYU and Student Health Center wellness resources (training is held once per semester).
- Fall 2016 Training Dates:
Monday, October 17th, 5-9 PM
Thursday, October 20th, 5-9 PM
- Participate in Stressbusters events for at least 7 hours per semester.
“It’s a good way to get students to take five minutes out of their schedules to look after themselves.” – Maura Dentino, NYU Stories
"...the Stressbusters program is a perfect study break: it takes only five minutes, and it leaves you relaxed and refreshed." – NYU Local
“The experience you provided to our students was unbelievable. I cannot thank you enough for your service.” – Event Requestor
“This was the best part of my day!” – Student Backrub Recipient
* Moyer CA, Rounds J, Hannum JW. A meta-analysis of massage therapy research. Psychol Bull. 2004;130(1):3–18.