Programs & Activities Without Substances (PAWS) is a funding opportunity for student groups to sponsor substance-free activities at NYU. The central purpose of PAWS is to provide alternative, substance-free opportunities during the weekend or other times of high alcohol and other drug consumption.
PAWS funding is typically awarded to Resident Assistants (RAs), Commuter Assistants (CAs), and student club members or leaders who organize events. The program is sponsored by the Health Promotion office.
In order to increase the chances of your event being funded, please read and complete the application thoroughly, follow the guidelines, and provide as much information as possible. Applications are assessed by a panel of students and professional staff members. Requests may be funded in full or in part.
To be awarded PAWS funding, programs must meet the first two criteria in the list below and at least 2 of the other criteria:
- Occurs during times when students would otherwise likely consume alcohol (Thurs., Fri., Sat. nights after 9:00 PM).
- Engages at least 20 participants.
- Promotes social interaction. If the event includes entertainment (film screening, theater, live music), it is more likely to be funded if it also includes discussion before or after.
- Provides a unique experience. For example, taking your floor residents out to dinner would not be considered unique, but holding a themed intra-residence dinner/mixer for the entire hall more likely would.
- Co-sponsored by a second NYU student organization, team, club, or residence hall.
- Includes a component that encourages cross-cultural interaction.
- You must fill out a PAWS Request form for funding (up to $300.00).
- All applications must be received at least two weeks before the event date.
- The deadline for all applications is December 2016.
- A committee of students and staff will review all the applications, and funding will be awarded to those programs that best meet the goals of PAWS.
- Notification of funding will be sent within 1-2 weeks after an application is received.
- Only one application will be accepted per event.
- RAs, student leaders, and clubs may receive PAWS funding only once per semester.
- All event publicity must indicate that the event is being funded by PAWS.
- If the venue has alcohol present (i.e., gallery event, bowling), no participants may consume alcohol during the event and no PAWS funds may be used for alcohol.
- A copy of the event’s advertisement must be submitted with the original receipts.
- Funding is awarded to the event, not to the applicant. You may not change the event and still use the funding without prior approval from the Health Promotion office.
- PAWS does not dispense cash advancements or advance payments.
- Receipts must not be more than $300.00 in order to be reimbursed.
- Program contacts will be reimbursed approximately two weeks after the receipts have been submitted.
- Funding will be forfeited if receipts are not received within 2 weeks after the event.