Can't wait for an appointment?
For students who are experiencing an urgent need and cannot wait for an appointment, we offer the opportunity to be seen on a walk-in basis (see examples below to help determine if your need is urgent).
Walk-in Care for Urgent Medical Needs
If your condition does not require immediate care, a triage nurse may schedule a same-day appointment for you with a Primary Care provider.
All visits to our Urgent Care area will incur a $10 fee. There may be additional fees for any special testing, treatments, or procedures.
Examples of Symptoms Requiring an Urgent Care Visit:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Lacerations or wounds
- Abdominal pain
If you have any questions about whether or not your need is urgent, call (212) 443-1000.
For Urgent Care walk-in hours, check the Urgent Care page.
Walk-in Care for Urgent Mental Health Needs
For students who are experiencing an urgent need and/or cannot wait for an appointment, the Student Health Center offers you the opportunity to be seen without an appointment.
Wellness Walk-in Visit
Students can choose a Wellness walk-in visit (no appointment necessary) to meet briefly with a counselor in person to speak about their issues. These counselors will work with you to develop the most appropriate treatment plan. This can include either a referral to NYU counseling or an external referral to the community. There is no cost for a Wellness walk-in visit.
Walk-in Medication Visit
Students can meet with a psychiatric prescriber during Wellness medication walk-in hours to speak about short-term medication refills, medication side effects, and potential medication options to address simple, specific problems such as airplane flight anxiety, panic attacks, or insomnia.
Be aware that prescribers do not provide refills be ADHD/stimulant medications (i.e. Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta) in the walk-in clinic. Please contact your regular provider for interim prescriptions or speak to a counselor to arrange a full medication evaluation.
Examples of Symptoms Requiring a Wellness Walk-in Visit:
- Relationship or interpersonal concerns
- Feeling depressed, down, guilty, or hopeless
- Feeling anxious or nervous
- Concerns about alcohol or drug use
- Concerns about food, eating, and body image
- Concerns or questions about sex and sexuality
- Difficulty coping with stress or other emotions
- Problems functioning at home, work, or school
- Thoughts of suicide, hurting yourself, or hurting someone else
For Wellness walk-in hours, check the Counseling and Wellness page.
How to prepare for your visit:
- Bring your NYU I.D. and your health insurance card to every visit.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment to fill out any forms and to maximize the amount of time you have with your healthcare provider. If you need to cancel an appointment, please let us know at least 24 hours in advance.
- Make a list of all symptoms and concerns, allergies and medications, prior to your visit so that you don't forget anything that may be important to you and your provider.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions. It is important to us that all your concerns, no matter how small they seem to you, be addressed—be your own advocate.