Waiver Criteria Applicable to F1-J1 Visa Holders
Additional waiver information for F1-J1 Visa Holders Learn more...
Waiver Criteria Applicable to All Other Students
Students who maintain other insurance coverage that meets the University’s requirements as outlined below may apply to waive the NYU-sponsored plans by the appropriate deadline.
University Criteria for Waiving the NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plans include:
- The insurance company must be headquartered and operating in the U.S., with a U.S. claims address and customer service telephone number. (LS Freshman Abroad students, see below.*)
- The insurance coverage must remain in effect from:
|Semester||Insurance Effective Dates|
|Fall||August 21st through August 20th of the following year|
January 9th through
May 14th through
3. The plan must provide inpatient hospitalization benefits in the New York City area for medical/surgical, mental health, substance abuse, and alcohol-related illness or injury.
4. The plan must provide outpatient benefits in the New York City area (including office visits) for medical/surgical, mental health benefits, substance abuse, alcohol-related illness or injury, and laboratory and radiology procedures. Coverage limited to emergency care does not satisfy the requirement.
5. The maximum benefit payable under the insurance plan must be unlimited.
* For students in the LS Freshman Abroad program, their insurance company or government-issued health plan must be headquartered in their home country.
Additional Waiver Criteria Applicable to F-1 and J-1 Visa Holders
- No waiting period for pre-existing conditions.
- Policy deductible not to exceed $1,500 per policy year.
- Medical Evacuation coverage of at least $50,000 USD
- Repatriation of remains coverage of at least $25,000 USD
How to Waive Online/Deadline:
The following information should be available before accessing the online system during the enrollment/waiver period (see below):
Student ID number (shown on the student’s admissions letter or on the back of the NYU ID card), and
Health insurance ID card and information about benefits, exclusions and coverage dates for the student’s alternate health insurance plan.
- Click here to access the Waiver page.
- Read the general information and then enter the student ID (N-number) and date of birth.
- Select “Waive” and follow the instructions for how to submit the waiver. At the end of the process, you must confirm your waiver information in order for your request to be processed.
- Print the Confirmation of Status letter. A confirmation will also be sent to the e-mail address provided.
International students with F-1 or J-1 visa status should click here to find additional information about waiving the Student Health Insurance Plans.
Students who successfully waived in the fall will have their waiver automatically remain in effect for the spring and summer semesters. However, they must repeat the waiver process again at the start of each academic year beginning in the fall.
Once the waiver process is completed, the waiver will apply as of the effective date of insurance for the term. (Example: Students, who submit a waiver on September 15th, will not be covered for any services that were rendered on or after August 21st of that year.)
Waivers will only be processed by the Insurance Department. No school or unit can waive students from the insurance plan.