New York University requires that students studying abroad as part of their educational program be covered under the NYU-sponsored health insurance plan administered by GeoBlue (formerly HTH Worldwide Insurance).
The school-sponsored GeoBlue NYU-Shanghai program provides coverage worldwide, including in the United States. The GeoBlue coverage is essential and the cost is included in the student’s Bursar bill.
The GeoBlue NYU-Shanghai Plan is effective from August 1, 2016 through July 31, 2017.
Affordable Care Act
Several years ago, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) was enacted to increase the availability of health insurance coverage for more Americans. There are a multitude of medical coverage provisions that are now required by this law. Failure to have adequate coverage could result in a penalty by the IRS. (Please consult your tax preparer for guidance.) There are two GeoBlue Insurance Plans available to the NYU-Shanghai students:
- A GeoBlue ACA compliant plan (PDF)
- A GeoBlue non-ACA compliant plan (PDF)
- Insurance plan rates (PDF)
Waiving The Plan
Students who maintain other insurance coverage that meets ALL of the University’s requirements as outlined below, may apply to waive the NYU-Shanghai sponsored GeoBlue Plan. NYU Shanghai Health Insurance online waiver instructions can be found here.
To avoid being obligated to pay for two health insurance plans, please do not purchase another health insurance plan before the waiver is approved.
After completing the on-line waiver process, you will be required to submit an attestation from your insurance carrier (not the broker) that the policy coverage meets the minimum requirements as outlined below. If the plan does not meet the criteria listed, you will not be granted a waiver.
The on-line waiver process must be completed prior to August 15th for the Fall Semester.
NOTE: Please remember if you are seeking to waive the NYU-Shanghai Sponsored GeoBlue Insurance Plan, you will not be able to waive the coverage if there have been claims submitted for your care.
At a minimum, your insurance policy must include:
- Global coverage outside the U.S with a guarantee of payment to the provider eliminating any out of pocket cost to the student.
- 100% coverage of usual and customary fees for all services including Mental Health and Out Patient Prescription Drugs.
- NO deductibles and NO copays.
- $250,000 for Medical Evacuation each year.
- A bedside visit benefit for one (1) person up to a maximum of $5,000 for the cost of one economy round-trip air fare ticket to, and the hotel accommodations in, the place of the student’s hospital confinement.
Please note: Travel plans will not qualify as health care coverage to be used to waive the NYU-Shanghai sponsored HTH Worldwide Insurance Plan.
Note: To change from the GeoBlue ACA compliant plan to the GeoBlue non-ACA compliant plan, please click here (PDF), complete the Attestation, and follow the instructions to return it to the SHC Student Health Insurance Department for processing by August 15, 2016.