Yuhwa Eva Lu
Associate Professor of Social Work
BEd Taiwan University; MSW and MA University of Wisconsin; PhD San Diego State University and Claremont Graduate University
email@example.com | (212) 998-9094
Dr. Yuhwa Eva Lu is an Associate Professor at the School of Social Work. She received her B.Ed. degree from Taiwan, her M.S.W. and M.A. in Sociology from University of Wisconsin, and her Ph.D. degree from the S.D.S.U. & Claremont Joint Doctoral Program. She also completed an NIMH Post-Doctoral Fellowship at the University of California, Berkeley, and completed a federal HRSA-AMERSA funded fellowship from Project MAINSTREAM, an interdisciplinary Faculty Development Program in substance abuse education. Her scholarship and research interests are primarily in cross cultural social work practice. She has published articles in the areas of clinical process and outcome research such as "Clinicians' Personal Styles and Clinical Decisions," "Psycho-Social-Cultural Adjustment and Interventions for Asian and Asian American Clients," "The Impact of Cultural Factors on Clinical Practice," and various outcome studies with diverse children, adult, and elderly populations.
Dr. Lu is the founding president of P.E.A.R.L. Institute (Pacific Education, Advocacy, Research and Learning Institute) which, since 1993, has implemented annual international training and program development projects on family protections (i.e., training on child abuse and domestic violence issues). Dr. Lu is also a licensed clinical social worker, and a Chinese bilingual/ bicultural practicing therapist for over twenty years. For the past twenty years, Dr. Lu has worked as a teacher, a psychiatric social worker, and an international trainer. She had directed numerous international, national, and local cross-cultural clinical training programs for the community agencies, universities, as well as foreign countries and their NGOs. Currently, all her training programs are administered from School of Social Work, New York University.
Dr. Lu teaches courses in Social Work Direct Practice, EthnoCultural Issues in Social Work, Research, and Dissertation Seminar.
- Lu, Y. E., Dane, B. & Gellman, A. (2005) An experiential model: Teaching empathy and cultural sensitivity. Journal of Teaching in Social Work, Vol.25(3/4) 2005).
- Lu, Y. H., Landsverk, J., Newton, R., Ganger, W., & Johnson, I. (2004). Race, ethnicity, and case outcomes in child protective services. Children &Youth Services Review.26 ,447-461.
- Chen, S., Sullivan, N.Y., Lu, Y. E., & Shibusawa, T. (2003). Asian Americans and mental health services: A study of utilization patterns in the 1990's. Journal of Ethnic and Cultural Diversity in Social Work. 12(2), 19-42.
- Lu, Y. E., Miller, M. H. & S. Chen (2002). American revolution in mental health care delivery: Meeting the educational challenge. Journal of Teaching in Social Work.22 (1/2),167-182.
- Lu, Y. E., Lum, D. & Chen, S. (2001). Cultural competency and achieving styles in clinical social work: A conceptual and empirical exploration. Journal of Ethnic and Cultural Diversity in Social Work, 9(3/4), 1-32.
- Lu, Y. E., Organista, K., et. al. (2001). Exploring dimensions of culturally sensitive clinical styles with Latinos. Journal of Ethnic and Cultural Diversity in Social Work.10(2),45-66.
- Chen, S., & Lu, Y. E. (2001). Community care and social support for older person: An international perspective [Special Issue].Indian Journal of Gerontology. 15(1&2), 99-125.
- Prior, S., & Lu, Y. E. (2000). Promoting Gardening Projects: Promoting gardening projects among Hmong elderly refugees: Implications for psycho-social Adjustment. ARETE, 24(2).
- Lu, Y. E. (1996). Underutilization of mental health services by Asian American clients: The impact of language and culture in clinical assessment and intervention. Psychotherapy in Private Practice, 15(2), 43-61.
- Lu, Y. E. (1994). A comparison of achieving styles of Asian American and non-Asian American psychotherapists. Psychotherapy in Private Practice, 13(2), 45-69.
books and book chapters
- Lu, Y.E. (2005). A new concept in evaluating social work practice: Structured evaluation. In Feng & Lu (Eds.) Social Workers’ Competency Assessment and Social Work Education. Taipei, Taiwan: National Taiwan University Press.
- Lu, Y.E., Medina, C., & Kwong, M.H. (2005). Assessing Clinical Competency in Field Education. In Feng & Lu (Eds.) Social Workers’ Competency Assessment and Social Work Education Programs. Taipei, Taiwan: National Taiwan Univ. Press.
- Siu, S.-F., Lee, A., & Lu, Y.E. (Eds.) (2005). Asian and Pacific Americans: A Selected Bibliography (1995-2003) with Annotations and Teaching Resources for Social Work Educators. Washington, DC: Council on Social Work Education.
- Lum, D., & Lu, Y. E. (2003). Skill Development. In D. Lum (Ed.), Cultural Competent Practice: A framework for growth and action (pp. 128-164). Pacific Grove, CA:Brooks/Cole Publishing.
- Lum, D., & Lu, Y. E. (1999). Skill Development. In D. Lum (Ed.), Cultural Competent Practice: A framework for growth and action (pp. 111-143). Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing.
- Lu, Y. E. (1995). School social work and its impact on psychosocial adjustment of school children: A case study of four innovative programs. In M. Wong & H. Y. Weng (Eds.), School social work and child protection (pp. 93-103). Taichung, Taiwan: C.C.F. Pub.
- Lu, Y. E. (1995). Cross-Cultural Social Work Education and Practice: An Annotated Bibliography. School of Social Work, San Diego State University.
- Lu, Y. E. (1980). Adolescents' Perceptions of Parental Decision Making patterns in cross-cultural Perspective: The Chinese Families in Taiwan and North America (Thesis).
selected international conference paper presentations
- Lu, Y.E. (2006, Aug.) When East Meets West: Culture and Mental Health Assessment & Interventions. International Healthy Cities Conference, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Lu, Y.E. (2001, July). Globalization and Mental Health Care Delivery: Meeting the Educational Challenge. Paper presented at the 26th Biennial Congress of the World Federation for Mental Health, Vancouver BC, Canada.
- Lu, Y.E. (2000, October). Unidimensionalization in Applied Science and Social Science: A Multiple and Optimal Approach to A Key Issue in Index Construction. Paper presented at the 5th International Conference on Social Science Methodology (ISA RC33): Logic and Methodology, Cologne, Germany.
- Lu, Y.E. (2000, July 28 - August 2). Clinical Social Work in a Global and Multicultural Context: An Exploration of Cultural Competency. Paper presented at the 26th Joint Conference of the International Federation of Social Workers and The International Associations of the Schools of Social Work, Montreal, Canada.
- Lu, Y.E. (1998, July). Cross-Cultural Social Work Training: A Case Example of East Meets West. Paper Presented at the Joint Conference of the International Federation of Social Workers & The International Association of the Schools of Social Work, Jerusalem, Israel.
- Lu, Y.E. (1994, July / 10-15). (#1) International Training and Curriculum Development: A Case on Cross-cultural Child Protective Services & (#2) Multi-cultural Social Work Education: An Alternative Instructional Model in Social Work Direct Practice. Papers presented at the 27th Congress of the International Association of the Schools of Social Work, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Lu, Y.E. (1993, October). (#1) Small Business Model for Labor Markets and Unemployment & (#2) Christian Model for Human Services Privatization. International Conference of Privatization and Socioeconomic Policy in Central and Eastern Europe, Krakow, Poland.
- Lu, Y.E. (1992, December). Confucianism and Its Therapeutic and Educational Applications: A Culturally Sensitive Social Work Model for Chinese. The Asian & Pacific Association for Social Work Education, Hong Kong University, H. K., China.
- Lu, Y.E. (1992, May). Effective Cross -Cultural Communication: With Asian-American Mental Health Clients. The18th International Congress of the International Society for International Education, Training & Research (SIETAR), Jamaica, West Indies.
selected national conference presentations
- Lu, Y.E. (2006, Feb. 17). Curriculum/Administration Workshop: An Alternative Methodology in Teaching and Evaluating Clinical Competence. Workshop presentation at the 52nd Annual Program Meeting, Council of Social Work Education, Chicago, IL.
- Lu, Y.E. (2003, Feb. – March). A New Concept in Evaluating Social Work Education: The Structured Observations. Paper presentation at the 49th Annual Program Meeting, Council on Social Work Education, Atlanta, GA.
- Lu, Y.E. (2001, January). Culturally Competent Clinical Practice: Diverse Personal Styles of Ethnic Minority and Mainstream Clinicians. Paper presented at the Fifth Annual Conference of the Society for Social Work and Research (SSWR), Atlanta, Georgia.
- Lu, Y.E. (2000, August). Psycho-Social Adjustment and It’s Intervention Strategies for Chinese-American Immigrants. Paper presented at the 25th Annual Convention, Chinese American Academic & Professional Society, NY.
- Lu, Y.E. (2000, March) (1). Globalization and Mental Health Care Delivery: Meeting the Educational Challenge, & (2) Globalization & Development: New Approaches and Perspectives. Papers presented at the 26th Annual 3rd World Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Lu, Y.E. (1993, November). Infusion of Spirituality in the Social Work Education: Prayer as a Daily Review Framework for Personal and Social Transformation. Annual Conference of North American Association of Christians in Social Work, Pennsylvania.
- Lu, Y.E. (1993, June). Multicultural Human Services: A Universal Transformation Paradigm. Paper presented at the 19th International Congress of the International Society of International Education, Training, and Research (SIETAR), Washington D.C.
invited conference presentations and workshops (selected)
- Lu, Y. E. (2003, March). Invited Keynote Speaker at the Annual Leo Laks Memorial Luncheon Lecture: Making Our World A Good Place to Grow Old. 2003 Joint Conference of the National Council on the Aging and the American Society on Aging, Chicago, Il.
- Lu, Y. E. (2004, June 18) Invited Speaker for Faculty Development Workshop: Family Protection Services in the U.S. National Chi-Nan University, Taiwan.
- Lu, Y.E. (1998, June). Invited Workshop Presentation: Contract and Evaluation Processes in Social Services Privatization. City Government of Taipei, Taiwan.
- Lu, Y.E. (1992, September). Rapporteur: Summary for the Conference Conclusion. The Aging Population International Conference, Co-sponsored by United Nations and San Diego State University, San Diego, CA.
- Lu, Y.E. (2001 March). Invited Panel Speaker: Social Work Education Internationally Observed: Roots, Growth, and Change. The 47th Annual Program Meeting (APM), Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), Dallas, Texas.
- Lu, Y. E. (2004, June 11). Invited Workshop Speaker: What Do You Need to Know to Promote Successful Aging Across Cultures? The 9th Annual Jarvie Colloquium: Successful Aging Revisited, New York, NY.
- Lu, Y. E. (2002, April). Invited Panel Speaker: System Change and Technology Transfer Within Educational Settings. The New Systems Change and Technology Transfer Symposium Project MAINSTREAM. Latham, NY.
- Lu, Y. E. (2001, June). Conference Speaker: Palliative Care: A Culturally Competent Perspective. The Lower Manhattan Health Care Coalition, New York, NY.
- Lu, Y.E. (1994). Invited Presentation: The Impact of Culture & Language in Clinical Decision Making Process. Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Dept. of Psychiatry, Los Angeles, CA.
- Lu, Y.E. (1986). Invited Workshop Presentation: Mental Health Services for Asian Minorities. The North America Taiwanese Medical Association & Southern California Taiwanese Association, Los Angeles, CA.