Exempt and Expedited Review
If your study meets the criteria for either expedited annual review or exemption from ongoing review and approval, there is no specific deadline for submitting applications. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received.
Note: If you submit an application for exempt or expedited review on or close to a submission deadline for full board review, the review process will inevitably take longer as the UCAIHS staff will be busy processing full board submissions.
Convened (Full) Board Review
Research that involves more than minimal risk to research participants requires review by the convened board. If your research involves any of the following, your application will most likely require full board review:
- Research on sensitive topics with minor children
- Research on prisoners, pregnant women, impaired adults
- Research on illegal activities such as drug use
- Research on private activities such as sexual behavior
- FDA approved drugs and devices presenting more than minimal risk
- Non-FDA approved drugs and devices
- Research that employs deception/withholding of complete information during initial consent
Applications requiring review by the convened board must be submitted by the dates listed below: