Investigators may apply for exempt status if their research falls within certain categories of research considered very low risk under Federal regulations at 45 CFR 46.101(b)
At NYU an exempt determination may only be made by the UCAIHS. A completed application for exemption must be submitted to determine whether a project should be granted Exempt status. Applications that may be eligible for this determination may be submitted at any time and will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Click on Exempt status for more information on the designation.
Once granted exempt status, a project will not be considered under IRB oversight and further review is not required. Note that any changes made after an exemption has been granted need to be proposed to the UCAIHS in writing prior to initiating changes to ensure that the research still qualifies as exempt. This may be done via email query to firstname.lastname@example.org
Below is a detailed list of instructions on how to submit your request for an exempt determination electronically. Please read the instructions carefully.
Submissions must be made to the appropriate e-mail address as outlined below. Copies sent directly to a UCAIHS administrator, or submitted in unacceptable formats, cannot be entered into the electronic tracking system and will be returned to the PI with instructions to submit appropriately. Submitting your information to an incorrect e-mail address will cause a delay in the processing and review of your research documents.
If you have any questions about these instructions, please feel free to email our office with your inquiries or concerns to email@example.com.
We do not accept paper copies of applications. Paper copies of applications sent through the mail or dropped off in the UCAIHS Office will be returned to the PI without review.
Instructions for NEW EXEMPT applications (have never been reviewed by the UCAIHS before)
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line, write: EXEMPT APPLICATION for [PI name]: entitled [“title of application”]
In the body of the e-mail:
Please title and number the contents of the attachments in this manner:
Enclosed are the following attachments:
1. IRB Application for Exemption (use MS Word only)
2. Recruitment fliers/consent materials (use MS Word only). Please submit as one large document, and give it an appropriate identifying name, such as Recruitment Materials. DO NOT CALL IT “APPENDICES XX”.
3. Research Instruments in MS Word or PDF (please state the number of instruments included and provide a list with appropriate instrument names).
4. Research applications for external or internal funding, Master’s and approved Doctoral proposals: submit in MS Word or PDF.
5. Other supporting documents (including scanned application signature page, cooperating institution letters, data use agreements/contracts, certification of human subjects training if not taken at NYU, etc.). Note that if supporting documents require signatures, such as application signature pages or cooperating institution letters, you will need to scan them into a PDF.
Important Note! Please do not submit documents in other formats as we may have problems opening them or downloading information from them. Doing so could delay review and approval.