New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation
Office of the University Registrar banner

Veterans Benefits

Veterans can apply for their VA benefits online. Benefits are available for the following chapters:

After applying for benefits

  • After the veteran has completed the paperwork through the VA website, a Certificate of Eligibility Letter (COE) will be mailed, indicating the chapter and eligible benefit(s).
  • If the student is the veteran, they will also need to submit Discharge Document papers (DD214). In order for a service member to be entitled to their benefits they must be honorably discharged.

After acceptance to NYU

  • When the student/veteran has been accepted by their selected school they should meet with their academic advisor and registering, the COE can be scanned and emailed directly to the NYU Certifying Official or faxed to 212-995-4154 Attention: NYU Certifying Official.
  • All veterans are expected to reach the objective (bachelor's, master's, doctorate or certificate) authorized by the VA with the minimum number of points required.
    • The VA may not authorize payments for credits that are in excess of scholastic requirements, that are taken for audit purposes only, or for which non punitive grades are received.

Supplemental and Concurrent Enrollments

A student may take courses at more than one school that apply to his or her degree. The school that will grant the degree is the student's "primary" school; all other schools are "secondary" schools. Learn more about supplemental and concurrent enrollments.

Non-Credit/Certificate Programs

  • School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS) offers several Non-Credit programs. For certificate advisement please contact SCPS.
  • Veterans are advised to review the VA website to see if the program is approved. If the veteran is interested in a program that is not approved, please contact the NYU Certifying Official.
    • Programs that are not approved require the approval from the State Approving Agency which determines the eligibility of certificate programs.


  • Veterans are required to contact the NYU Certifying Official every semester upon registering in order to certify their enrollment for the semester.
  • March 1, 2013 New York University is a participant of the Department of Defense (DOD) Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
  • The School of Medicine, School of Law, and the Graduate Division of the Stern School of Business have their own Certifying Officials. Please contact the schools directly.
  • Since interpretation of regulations governing veterans' benefits is subject to change, veterans should refer regularly to the VA website.
NYU Footer

Unless otherwise noted, all content copyright New York University. All rights reserved.
Designed by The Office of Web Communications.