New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Changing Surname and/or Suffix

  1. Process

    Students who enroll at New York University may change their Surname (last name) and/or Suffix. Surnames (last name) cannot be changed at NYU without a certified court order, marriage license, divorce decree, or birth certificate reflecting the new surname. Suffix may be changed with the proper documentation as specified above, as well as a state issued driver's license. Complete the Change of Student Information form and attach documentation as necessary.

  2. FERPA

    A student's preferred title and first name will be disclosed as "directory information" unless the student refuses to permit such disclosure. For further information on disclosure of directory information, please refer to New York University's Guidelines for Compliance with the Family Educational rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

  3. Policy Contact

    Please contact Academic Records online or at (212) 998-4280, with any questions regarding this policy and process.

    Disclaimer: This policy does not form a contract of any kind and may be modified, changed, altered, or rescinded by NYU at its discretion.

NYU Footer

Unless otherwise noted, all content copyright New York University. All rights reserved.
Designed by The Office of Web Communications.