Persons with Disabilities
New York University’s Office of Public Safety is committed to providing quality campus transportation services to all members of the NYU community. In the last several years, we have worked hard to make our transit system increasingly more reliable, and for those individuals with physical or cognitive disabilities, every bus operated on our fixed routes is accessible.
If you are a person with a disability using our service for the first time, do not hesitate to identify yourself as such, as this will help the bus operators to better serve you.
- Be sure that you are at the proper bus stop to catch the bus you need.
- As the bus approaches your stop, be sure it is the correct bus before you try to board. Each NYU shuttle bus has a destination sign over the windshield displaying the route name and number. The bus may also display a card sign in the lower windshield area, which further describes its destination.
- If you require the wheelchair lift to board, please wait until other passengers have boarded and alighted. Position your wheelchair at least four feet back from the curb, since the lift platform or ramp will extend approximately 18 inches from the curb. Please listen and carefully follow any instructions given by the driver.
- If using wheelchair-lift equipment, roll your chair forward onto the lift when the driver lowers the platform. Lock your wheelchair brakes. Once your chair is securely on the platform, the driver will activate a safety barrier to prevent your chair from rolling backward off the lift.
- Once the lift has been activated, you will be raised to the level of the bus floor, where you can unlock your brakes and move off the lift.
- As you board the bus, please tell the bus operator the location where you want to alight. This will allow the bus operator to properly position the bus at your destination.
- Your wheelchair must be properly secured and brakes set before the driver will move the bus. A seat belt is also provided as an added securement measure. Please let the bus operator know if you need additional assistance.
- At your destination, the bus operator will deploy the lift and activate the safety barrier. Carefully roll your chair onto the lift facing out and lock your brakes. When the lift reaches the ground, the safety barrier will lower and you will be able to wheel away from the lift.