|Curriculum Vitae - Bertell Ollman
- AGE - 72
- PLACE OF BIRTH - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- NATIONALITY - American
- FAMILY STATUS - Married to Paule Ollman with one son, Raoul
- Univ. of Wisconsin - B.A. (Pol. Sci.-1956), M.A. (Pol. Sci.-1957)
- Oxford Univ. - A.B. (Pol., Phil., and Econ.-1959), M.A. (Pol. Theory-1963), and D.Phil. (Pol. Theory-1967)
ACADEMIC HONORS AND AWARDS
- Univ. of Wisconsin - Phi Beta Kappa and Detling Fellowship (1956-'57)
- Univ. of Chicago - William Volker Fellowship (1959-'60)
- Oxford Univ. - Ford Fellowship and St. Antony's College Scholarship - (1960-'63)
- Columbia Univ. - Senior Research Fellowship (1971-'72)
- Univ. of Delhi - Indian Social Science Fellowship (1987)
- Japan - Fulbright Senior Research Fellowship (1994)
- Australian National Univ. - Visiting Research Scholar (1987 and 1995)
- New Political Science section of the American Political Science Assoc. - Charles McCoy Life Achievement Award for Scholarship (lst winner) (2001)
FIELDS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Political Theory, particularly Marxism and other schools of socialist thought
- Comparative Government, with special reference to the U.S. and Russia
- Univ. of Maryland Overseas Program, part-time (1958, 1963)
- Oxford Univ., part-time (1962-'63)
- Univ. of the West Indies, Jamaica (1963-'66)
- New York Univ. (1967-present)
- Columbia Univ., part-time (1972)
- Union College, part-time (1974)
- Oxford University, Visiting Professor for a course on Marxism (Spring, 2000)
OTHER RELEVANT WORK AND ACTIVITIES
- National Vice President of the Student League for Industrial Democracy (which soon afterwards changed its name to Students for a Democratic Society, S.D.S.) and editor of its journal (1956-'57)
- Education Director for the Council on Student Travel on several trans-Atlantic sailings (1959-'63)
- Director of Research for the People's National Party (P.N.P.) of Jamaica (1964-'66)
- Trainee in psychoanalysis at the Metropolitan Academy for Psychoanalytic Training (1969-'71)
- Invited speaker on different aspects of socialist theory, on over 250 occasions, in twelve countries since 1971
- Talk Show host for "Visits with Marxist Thinkers" on WBAI radio in New York City (1977-'84)
- Director of Center for Marxist Studies at N.Y.U. (1971-'82)
- Candidate for the presidency of the American Political Science Association (1978) (I received 28% of the vote)
- Co-organizer of the APSA program for the Caucus for a New Political Science featuring 12 debates between leading radical and mainstream political scientists (1983)
- President of Class Struggle Inc., producer and distributor of the Class Struggle board game, (1978-'85)
- Chairman elect of the Department of Government at the Univ. of Maryland (1978)
- Principal in major academic freedom law suit against the University of Maryland (1978-'81)
- Principal in major libel suit against the journalists Evans and Novack (1978-'83)
- Co-organizer of the first Radical Humor Festival (NYC-1984)
- Convenor of city-wide Faculty Colloquium on Marxist theory at NYU (1997- )
- Member of the Board of Editors of Kapitalistate (1973-'76)
- Member of the Board of Editors of New Political Science (1979- )
- Member of the Board of Editors of Socialism and Democracy (1989- )
- Member of the Board of Editors of Critical Accounting (1989-)
- Member of the Board of editors of MEGA Studien (Amsterdam) (1997-)
- Member of the Board of Editors of Science and Society (1997-)
- Reader of book manuscripts for various publishers, including Routledge, Princeton Univ. Press, Illinois Univ. Press, Monthly Review Press, Univ. of Minnesota Press, and Humanities Press
- President of non-profit foundation, the INTERNATIONAL ENDOWMENT FOR DEMOCRACY (I.E.D.) (2005- ) and editor of its "Critical Democracy Web Library"
- Alienation: Marx's Conception of Man in Capitalist Society (Cambridge U.P., 1971; 2nd ed., 1976). This book has gone through thirteen printings, sold close to 30,000 copies, and been translated into Spanish, Italian, and Korean
- Studies in Socialist Pedagogy, co-ed (Monthly Review Press, 1978)
- Social and Sexual Revolution: Essays on Marx and Reich (South End Press, 1978)
- Class Struggle Is the Name of the Game: True Confessions of a Marxist Businessman (Wm. Morrow Pub., 1983); 2nd expanded ed. entitled Ball Buster? True Confessions of a Marxist Businessman (Soft Skull Press, 2003)
- The Left Academy: Marxist Scholarship on American Campuses, co-ed., vol.I (McGraw Hill, 1982)
- The Left Academy..., co-ed., vol.II (Praeger Pub., 1984)
- The Left Academy..., co-ed., vol.III (Praeger Pub., 1986)
- The U.S. Constitution: 200 Years of Anti-Federalist, Abolitionist, Feminist, Muckraker, Progressive, and Especially Socialist Criticism, co-ed. (N.Y.U. Press, 1990)
- Marxism: an Uncommon Introduction (Stirling Pub., New Delhi, 1991)
- Dialectical Investigations (Routledge, 1993) A French translation is forthcoming
- Market Socialism: the Debate Among Socialists, ed. and co-author (Routledge, 1998). A Chinese translation appeared in 2000.
- Dialectics: the New Frontier, co-ed. (Special Issue of Science and Society, Fall, 1998)
- How to Take an Exam...and Remake the World (Black Rose Books, Montreal, Spring, 2001)
- Dance of the Dialectic: Steps in Marx's Method (Univ. of Illinois Press, 2003). A French translation appeared in 2006, and Chinese and Turkish translations in 2007.
- Dialectique Aujourd'hui, co-ed. (Editions Syllepse, 2007). This is a new book and not a French translation of one of my English books.
- Dialectics, co-ed. (Palgrave, 2008). This is a much expanded version of number 12 above.
ARTICLES AND OTHER MINOR WORKS
- "Alienation and the Law of Value", Economies et Societies (June, 1967)
- "Marx's Use of 'Class'", American Journal of Sociology (Mar., 1968)
- Dialectique Marxiste et Pensee Structurale (Centre d'Etudes Socialiste, 1968) (publication of a year long colloquium in which I was a regular participant)
- Review of Henri Lefebvre's Sociology of Marx, American Journal of Sociology (Jan., 1969)
- Review of Joseph O'Malley's Karl Marx's Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right, American Political Science Review (Spring, 1970)
- "Is There a Marxian Ethic? The Fact/Value Distinction", Science and Society (Summer, 1971)
- "The Marxism of Wilhelm Reich: or the Social Function of Sexual Repression", The Unknown Dimension: European Marxism Since Lenin, ed. by Dick Howard (Basic Books, 1971). French translation reprinted in Partisan (Fall, 1972).
- "Toward Class Consciousness Next Time: Marx and the Working Class", Politics and Society (Fall, 1972). Reprinted in The Best of Politics and Society, ed. by Ira Katznelson (Mackay, 1975).
- Comment on George Kelly's "Alienation", Political Theory (Summer, 1973)
- Introduction, Sex-Pol: Marxist Writings, 1929-1934, by Wilhelm Reich (Random House, 1973). Reprinted in Monthly Review (Oct., 1973)
- "Marxism and Political Science: Prolegomenon to a Debate on Marx's Method", Politics and Society (Fall, 1973)
- "The State as a Value Relation", Kapitalistate (Winter, 1974)
- "In Defense of Internal Relations", Radical Philosophy (Spring, 1976)
- "On Teaching Marxism", Insurgent Sociologist (Summer, 1976). Reprinted in New Political Science (Summer, 1978) and Radical Teacher (Sept., 1978).
- "Of Marxism and Universities", New York Times Op-Ed (June l6, 1978)
- "Marx's Vision of Communism", Critique (Summer, 1977). Reprinted in Radicalism in the Contemporary Age, vol. II, ed. by Severyn Bialer (Westview Press, 1977).
- Class Struggle, educational board game (1978)
- "Radical Textbooks: a Report from Political Science", Monthly Review (June, 1978)
- Review of Ralph Miliband's Marxism and Politics, American Political Science Review (Spring, 1979)
- "Marxist Businessman Finds Bottom Line Too Low", New York Times Op-Ed (Oct.l7, 1980)
- Entry on"Marxism", American Academic Encyclopedia (Arete Pub., 1980). Reprinted in Monthly Review (April, 1981), and as a pamphlet by Red Hot Publications (Feb., 1983).
- Review of Paul Buhl's Labor Joke Book, The National Guardian (Nov. 4, 1981)
- "Theses on the Capitalist State", Monthly Review (Dec., 1982)
- "Academic Freedom in America Today: a Marxist View", Regulating the Intellectuals: Perspectives on Academic Freedom in the 1980's, ed. by Craig Kaplan and Ellen Schrecker (Praeger Pub., 1983). Reprinted in Zedek (Feb., 1983) and Monthly Review (Mar., 1984).
- Comment on "Marx and Freedom", by Andrzej Walicki, New York Review of Books (Mar. l5, 1984)
- "The Meaning of Dialectics", Monthly Review (Nov., 1986)
- "How to Study Class Consciousness...and Why We Should", Critical Sociology (Winter, 1987)
- "A Marxist Interpretation of the U.S. Constitution", Monthly Review (Dec., 1987)
- Comment on Michael Albert's "Marxism", Z Magazine (May, 1989)
- "From Liberal to Social Democrat to Marxist", History and the New Left, ed. by Paul Buhl (Temple Univ. Press, 1990)
- "Putting Dialectics to Work: The Process of Abstraction in Marx's Method", Rethinking Marxism (Spring, 1990)
- "The Regency of the Proletariat in Crisis: a Job for Perestroika", P.S. (Political Science) (Sept., 1991)
- "Before Market Mystification Become Fully Operative: Toward a Political Strategy for the Self-Management Movement", Economy and Democracy, ed. by Alexander Buzgalin (Economic Democracy Pub., Moscow, 1992)
- Comment on Tim Mitchell's "The Limits of the State", American Political Science Review (Dec., 1992)
- "What Is To Be Done? the little things", Radical Teacher (Spring, 1992)
- "The 64 Rubel Question: What Will Russia's Workers Do Next?", Against the Current (May-June, 1993)
- Introduction, Essays in Critical Social Theory, by Richard Lichtman (Peter Lang, 1993)
- Comment on Norman Rush's "Socialism", The Nation (Mar. 7, 1994)
- "Industrial Democracy", Encyclopedia of Democracy, ed. by Seymour Martin Lipset (Congressional Quarterly Pub., 1995)
- "Exams Under Capitalism: a Marxist Critique of the Exam System", Access: a Journal of Education (Winter, 1995)
- "Some Preliminary Questions on Engels' Relation to Marxism", Beitrage sur Marx-Engels-Forschung (Summer, 1995). Reprinted in Marx Ahora (Havana, Fall, 1997).
- Review of M. Rubel's Karl Marx: Oeuvres, vol. IV, MEGA Studien (Amsterdam, 1995: vol.II)
- "Why Does the Emperor Need the Yakusa? Prolegomenon to a Marxist Theory of the State" (Japanese translation), The Marxist Review (Tokyo, Summer, 1996)
- "How to Take an Exam ...and Win the World", Radical Teacher (Summer, 1996)
- "The Problem Is Capitalism", in The Downsizing of America, ed. by the New York Times (Times Books, 1996)
- "Market Mystification in Capitalist and Market Socialist Societies", Socialism and Democracy (Winter, 1997). Translated into Chinese and reprinted in internet journal,China and the World, no.34 (Chicago, Summer, 1999).
- "Socialism - a Bird's-eye View", Peace Studies (Spring, 1997)
- "Why Dialectics? Why Now?", Science and Society (Fall, 1998). Reprinted in Utopie Kreativ (Berlin, May-June, 1999)
- "The Dance of the Dialectic, or How to Study the Communist Future Inside the Capitalist Present", Socialism and Democracy (Winter, 1998). Reprinted in le Manifeste communiste: l50 ans apres (la Dispute, Paris, 1998); also in Marxist Review, Athens (Fall, 1998)
- "Exchange on 'Market Mystification'", Socialism and Democracy" (Spring-Summer, 1999)
- "What Is Political Science? What Should It Be?, New Political Science (Dec., 2000)
- "Necessity and/or Determinism in Marxism", Critique (Glasgow, forthcoming)
- "Critical Realism in Light of Marx's Process of Abstraction", in AFTER POSTMODERNISM: AN INTRODUCTIION TO CRITICAL REALISM, ed. by Gary Potter and Jose Lopez (Athlone, London: Spring, 2001)
- "The Question Is Not 'When Will Capitalism Die?', But 'When Did It Die and What Should Our Reaction Be?'", Nature, Society, Thought (Spring, 2001). A Chinese translation is being prepared for publication in China.
- "The Advantages and Disadvantages of the Market: Response to Professor Kang on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics", Socialism and Democracy (Spring, 2001). A Chinese translation is being prepared for publication in China.
- "Why Does the Emperor Need the Yakuza? Toward a Marxist Theory of the Japanese State", New Left Review (Spring, 2001). This is a much longer and more developed version of the article published under this title in Japanese a few years earlier.
- "Explanation Yes; Justification No", The Critical Criminologist (Nov., 2001).
- "Dialectics is More than a Theory of Exposition: a Critique of Systematic Dialectics", in CAPITALISM AND THE NEW DIALECTICS, ed. by Rob Albritton (Palgrave Pub., 2002)
- "Why So Many Exams? A Marxist Response", Z Magazine (Oct., 2002)
- "Why War with Iraq? the Phantom Reasons and the Real Ones", The Rouge Forum (Spring, 2003); reprinted in Occasional Papers of the Center for the Advanced Study of American Institutions and Social Movements (Grenoble, France, Spring, 2003), and in Marxist Review (Athens, Spring, 2003)
- "Is Anti-Zionism a New Form of Anti-Semitism?", Occasional Papers of the Center for the Advanced Study of American Institutions and Social Movements (Grenoble, France, Spring, 2003)
- "Marxism, this Tale of Two Cities", Science and Society (Spring, 2003)
- "What Constitutes a Stolen Election?", Occasional Papers of the Center for the Advanced Study of American Institutions and Social Movements (Grenoble, France, Dec., 2004).
- "Marxism and Progress" (video), Cultural Logic (Fall, 2004).
- "Marx, Markets and Meatgrinders" (interview), Political Affairs (Mar. 2004).
- "Imperialism, Then and Now", (interview), Mehgbarta (Bangladesh) (Feb., 2004).
- "The Utopian Vision of the Future (Then and Now): a Marxist Critique", Monthly Review (Summer, 2005).
- "What Constitutes a "Stolen Election"? Toward a Politics of Deligitimation", Socialism and Democracy (July, 2005).
- "Letter of Resignation from the Jewish People: a Critique of Zionism as Nationalism", Tikkun (Jan./Feb., 2005). Reprinted in Turkey and France.
- "The Philosophy of Basketball, or the Relation Between Capitalism, Democracy and Socialism", Logos (web journal) (Winter, 2005). Reprinted as Op-Ed. in the L.A. Times (Mar. 7, 2005) and in Sweden.
- Basic Documents for the website of the INTERNATIONAL ENDOWMENT FOR DEMOCRACY (I.E.D.): I. "Urgent Appeal to the People of the World", II. "Statement of Purpose", and III. "Press Release" - www.iefd.org (Dec., 2005).
- Editor of an over 200 piece 'Critical Democracy Library' on web (2005-'08)
- "America Beyond Capitalism: a Socialist Stew Prepared for Liberals and Conservatives", Political Economy of the Good Society (PEGS) (Winter, 2007).
- Book on Marx's theory of appropriation.
- Book on communism as a post-capitalist civilization.
- Book on a Marxism for the new century (my recent Oxford lectures).
- Edited book of Marx's selected writings for the Modern Library series of Random House (under contract).
- Edited book on the main forms of capitalist ideology found in American universities.
- Co-edited book on "What Is Political Science and What Should It be?".
- Co-edited book of critical articles on American democracy.
- Co-edited book of articles illustrating the use of Marx's method in the social sciences.
- Article on Marxist Ecology.
- Article on analytical philosophy.
- Article on American patriotism.
- Article on globalization as ideology.
- Article on the collapse of the Soviet Union.
- Article on the dialectics of humor and revolution.
- Book on the Marxist theory of the state with a focus on the democratic state in capitalist society.
- Book on the Marxist theory of class consciousness.
- Book of my articles on politics, the state and political science.
- A revised third edition of my book, ALIENATION.
- Edited book on Marxist approaches to the study of the American government.
- Expanded second edition of my edited book, STUDIES IN SOCIALIST PEDAGOGY.