Planning Your Trip
Have an idea of sites you want to visit and things you want to do during your trip. Do some research on travel blogs and communities. You should ask friends and family who have traveled before about places they enjoyed the most. Read through site-specific guide books like Lonely Planet, Let's Go, Rough Guide, Rick Steves, or Frommers. You might be interested in the following sites:
- Official Czech Republic tourism site
- Czech Travel and Hotel Guide
- Budapest Pocket Guide
- Slovakia Travel Documentation
- Germany Travel Guide
Book all travel far in advance. However, do not book anything until after the first week of classes. You may find there are NYU-sponsored trips already in place.
Last Minute Tips
- Inform someone (your parents, the school, a friend) of your travel plans in case of emergency.
- Make sure you have more than one source of money (e.g. cash and a credit card, or two credit cards)
- Make a copy of your passport and a credit card and pack these to bring along with you.
- Bring email confirmations of all reservations and arrangements you have made.
- Write down the address of your destination to show to a local if you need help. Also, print out directions of how to get to that location.
Spring/Fall Break Stories
"I traveled to Croatia and Bosnia and visited Vienna on myway back to Prague. I highly recommend both Sarajevo and Dubrovnik, although Croatia and Bosnia may seem out of your comfort zone (they were certainly out of mine) Dubrovnik is beautiful and Sarajevo was the most diverse, vibrant, energetic and welcoming places I visited! Just go!!"
-Nora, NYU Prague student