> Faculty > Faculty Directory > Michael B Ferguson, D.M.D, C.A.G.S.
Michael B Ferguson, D.M.D, C.A.G.S.
Associate Clinical Professor and
Director of Clinical Education
Department of Prosthodontics
NYU College of Dentistry
423 East 23rd Street, 16th North
Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) - Boston University School of Dental Medicine
Certificate in AEGD - Boston University School of Dental Medicine
Dr. Michael Ferguson completed his D.M.D. training and Certificate in AEGD at Boston University School of Dental Medicine. He has taught pre-doctoral and post-doctoral residents in dentistry at Boston University School of Dental Medicine and at Harvard, University School of Dental Medicine as well as at the Harvard Medical School. He is currently the director of clinical education at NYU College of Dentistry. His clinical areas of expertise include diagnosis, treatment planning, and restorative dentistry, which includes crown and bridge reconstruction, implant prosthodontics, esthetic dentistry, and removable prostheses. He has been an active clinician, researcher and teacher since 1989.
His research areas of interest include, tooth whitening/ color and pre-clinical and clinical academic programs.
His mission as an educator is to teach ethical sound treatment planning and proper treatment sequencing and to assure an extensive clinical experience using the latest proven techniques and materials. As a teacher, he has an expertise in curriculum development including Problem Based Learning (PBL) and electronic case-based course materials. He lectures to the undergraduates, is actively involved in clinical supervision, and mentors both students and faculty in the clinics. He serves nationally as a CODA/ADA consultant, and is a member or chaired educational committees nationally and school wide.
Reviews and Editorials:
- Niederman R., Ferguson M., Urdaneta R., Badovinac R., Christie D., Tantraphol M., Rasool F. Evidence-Based Esthetic Dentistry. J Esthetic Dent 1998;10:229-234.
- Niederman R., Tantraphol M., Shoushtari B., Rasool F., Slinin P., Urdaneta R., Ferguson M. The Methods of Evidence-Based Dentistry. Quintessence Int 1998;29:811-817.
- Niederman R., Tantraphol M., Conway S., Ferguson M., Redmond P., Hayes C. Effectiveness of Dentist-Prescribed, Home-Applied Tooth Whitening a meta-analysis. J Contemp Dent Practice 2000;4:1-16.
- Ferguson M, Sobel M, Niederman R. Pre-clinical Restorative Training. J Dent Ed, 2002 (66)10:1159-1162.
- Nishimura K., Rasool F., Ferguson M., Sobel M., Niederman R. Benchmarking the Clinical Dental Literature on MEDLINE. J Prosthet Dent.2002 Nov; 88(5):533-41.
- Ishikawa-Nagai S, Terui T, Ishibashi K, Weber H., Ferguson M. Prediction of Optical Efficacy of Vital Tooth Bleaching Using Regression Analysis.
Color Research and Application 2004; 29:5 ,390-394
- Ishikawa-Nagai S., Terui T., Ishibashi K., Weber H., Ferguson M. Comparison of Effectiveness of Two 10% Carbamide Peroxide Tooth-Bleaching Systems Using Spectrophotometric Measurements. J. Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry, 2004; 16:368-375
- Ohyama H., Nagai S., Tokutomi H., Ferguson M., Recreating an Esthetic Smile: A Multidisciplinary Approach. The International Journal of Periodontics & Restorative Dentistry 2007; Jan/Feb Vol. 27, (1) 61-69
Clinical Communications/Case Reports:
- Ferguson, M. Teeth Bleaching. L’Information Dentaire 1999; vol. 81 (14) 1019 du 7 Avril.
- Ferguson, M. Call for Commentary: Sealants Effective in Reducing Caries. British Dental Journal 1999, [Editorial Review] Nov.
- Ferguson, M. Principles of Direct Composite Placement. L’Information Dentaire 2001; vol. 82 (31) du 20.
- Ferguson, M. The Curing Light. L’Information Dentaire, 2001; vol. 83 (37) du 31 Oct.
- Ferguson, M. The Art and Science of Designing a Smile. L’Information Dentaire, 2002; vol. 84 (05) du 30.
- Charchut S, Ferguson M. Achieving excellence in the predoctoral clinic: a porcelain veneer case report. J Cosmetic Dentistry 2002;18(1).
- Ferguson M, Choi, M. Impressive-Fast, efficient implant impression with Precision VPS and Perfectrays.
Dental Products Report June 2007, 30.