Note: This information applies to NYU Abu Dhabi and NYU Shanghai students considering a semester in New York. Students from other colleges and universities who are interested in enrolling as a visiting student at NYU's campus in New York should consider programs hosted by NYU's Office of University Programs.
It is always best to be well prepared when you travel outside of New York City. Do some research on travel blogs and communities. You can ask friends and family who have traveled before about places they enjoyed the most.
Although you will want to book all travel as far in advance as possible, you should NOT book any trips until after the first week of classes.
The train is a convenient option for traveling outside New York City. There are two main train stations for New York City. Grand Central Station mostly serves commuters traveling to upstate New York and Connecticut via Metro-North Railroad. Amtrak, Long Island Railroad, and New Jersey Transit connect out of the second one, Pennsylvania Station. Amtrak is a railroad that services cities across the United States. Before booking your domestic travel, make sure you compare the cost of traveling by rail versus air.
The New York area has three airports. JFK International Airport (JFK) and Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) have international and domestic airlines operating out of both airports. Only domestic carriers serve LaGuardia Airport (LGA). All three airports are at least a 45-minute subway or taxi ride from NYU's campuses.
With any airline (especially low-fare airlines), you should expect to pay a fee for any checked luggage you bring. JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit, and Virgin American airlines are examples of low-cost carriers in the U.S.
- Register your trip with NYU Traveler.
- Inform someone (your parents, the school, a friend) of your travel plans in case of emergency.
- Make sure you have more than one source of money (e.g. cash and a credit card, or two credit cards)
- Make a copy of your passport and credit card(s) and pack these to bring along with you.
- Bring email confirmations of all reservations and arrangements you have made.
- Write down the address of your destination to show to a local if you need help. Also, print out directions of how to get to that location.