The Intergroup Dialogue Program is a nationally recognized 1-credit course that brings together small groups of students from diverse backgrounds to share their experiences and gain new knowledge related to diversity and social justice. This 8-week course is open to all NYU undergraduate students, facilitated by graduate students or NYU professionals, and takes place in the Spring semester.
The IGD model is designed to promote positive intergroup relations among students, staff, and faculty and improve the campus climate at NYU. The model focuses specifically on intergroup dynamics within the context of an institution of higher education while promoting awareness and change in intergroup relations at the individual, cultural, and institutional levels. The guiding assumption is that diversity is an institutional asset and can be used to enhance growth of the NYU community while also achieving specific educational outcomes.
Past IGD sections include: Race, Gender, Bi/Multiracial, Spirituality, Sexuality, Jewish/Muslim, Arts based Race, Faith and Sexuality, and Jewish/Black.
IGD Application Deadlines
Spring 2014 Semester
Undergraduate Participant deadline: January 31st by midnight.
Want more info?
Drop by the office or attend an information session in Kimmel 806!
- Thursday, October 24 - 1:00PM - 2:00PM
- Friday, November 1 - 4:00PM - 5:00PM
- Thursday, November 7 - 4:00PM - 5:00PM
- Monday, October 28 - 12:00PM - 1:00PM
- Monday, November 4 - 4:00PM - 5:00PM
- Thursday, November 7 - 4:00Pm - 5:00PM
- Dialogues are 8 weeks long.
- Dialogues begin on 2/14 and meet until 4/25.
- All dialogues will meet on FRIDAY from 2:15PM-4:15PM. (some courses may be held at alternate times)
Additional Undergraduate Participant Information:
- All accepted applicants must register before 1/27/14.
Additional Graduate Student information:
- Applicants may be contacted for an interview. All interviews will be conducted prior on 12/02/13 from 11am to 12pm or on 12/03/13 from 2pm-3pm.
- Accepted Graduate Student Facilitators will be notified by 12/06/13 and must confirm participation by 12/09/13.
- Facilitators will be participate in training, group meetings, and facilitate a dialogue in Fall and Spring Semester.
- Facilitators must be available for MANDATORY training on December 12 and December 13, 2013 from 9am to 5pm.
- Facilitators must be available on Friday mornings 10:30-12 noon beginning 2/07/2014 (until 4/25/14) and Friday afternoons 2:15-4:15 PM beginning 2/14/14 (until 4/25/14, including celebration) [with the exception of Spring Break].
- Facilitators are also required to have weekly meetings with their coach, submit session feedback forms, and complete an evaluation of their session upon completion of facilitation.
- Due to the commitment IGD requires, facilitators are strongly encouraged to look into IGD as a Field Work or Independent Study.
For more information regarding IGD please contact Jimmy Suarez at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-998-4326.