ITAV is an after school, predominantly Black, all-male middle school program located at KIPP Academy in Crown Heights, Brooklyn that focuses on the academic success of its students. ITAV@NYU was created to supplement the school’s efforts by focusing on salient social-emotional-psychological factors of the boys (self-esteem, self-regulation, self-worth, and self-confidence) through mentorship and positive exposure. NYU student mentors meet one on one with the boys as well as during monthly cohort activities, when we collectively foster self-reflective experiences that lead to increased self worth, intellectual curiosity and the determination to pursue success.
NYU mentors are recruited each fall semester through an application and interview process.
For further information please email: L. Trenton Marsh, Program Manager at LTM265@nyu.edu.
The Latinas On the Verge of Excellence, L.O.V.E., Mentoring Program was created to support and empower young Latinas to strive both in school and life through positive role modeling. The L.O.V.E. Mentoring Program aims to increase high school graduation rates and college enrollment among young Latinas with the support of positive role models who believe in their inner power and are committed to help them achieve their full potential.
The L.O.V.E. Mentoring Program recruits female university students to support, guide, and be a role model to a young Latina for a period of one school year. Mentors meet with their mentees (young Latinas referred from partners) for one hour and a half every other week.
Through a series of structured mentoring and group activities that concentrate on personal empowerment, developing study skills, and college access, the L.O.V.E. Mentoring Program aims to provide a space in which young Latinas can learn how strive personally and academically through positive reinforcement, consistency and understanding.
If you are interested in learning more about the L.O.V.E. Mentoring Program, please kindly contact Claudia Espinosa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
L.O.V.E. Mentoring Program Objectives:
• We encourage young Latinas to succeed academically through one-on-one mentoring.
• We empower young Latinas through academic growth and positive role modeling.
• We cultivate young Latinas’ participation and interest in learning by raising school attendance and academic achievements.
• We aim to increase high school graduation rates and college enrollment among young Latinas.
L.O.V.E. Mentoring Program requirements:
• Enroll in the program for the full academic year.
• Attend ALL L.O.V.E. mentoring events, beginning with the Mentor Information Session.
• Maintain biweekly face-to-face meetings with mentees.
• Complete program evaluations & other assessment materials.