FOCUS is a structured mentorship program designed to offer first and second year undergraduate students who identify as first generation college students and/or students of color (African American/Black, Arab American, Asian American/Pacific Islander, Latino/Hispanic American, Native American/American Indian/Alaskan Native, and Biracial/Multiracial) the opportunity to develop relationships with NYU Alumni, Faculty, Staff, Graduate Students or other professionals who can serve as resources and/or advocates through establishing an ongoing mentoring relationship.
The program assists students in creating a foundation on NYU’s campus through; opportunities for leadership development, connecting students to The Center and other NYU resources, creating unity among all participants and ultimately support the educational and personal success of FOCUS Mentees.
FOCUS Mentees and Mentors are selected through the application process and are paired accordingly after each application has been reviewed. FOCUS Staff identify points of correlation between applicants to best match areas of support that potential mentors can provide to each student. Although the program can be a resource for career development, students are not primarily matched with mentors based on career interests. Mentors are selected to provide students with the opportunity to develop an ongoing relationship that promotes personal growth, retention, and that will continue beyond the time span of the program.
FOCUS Mentorship Program Objectives:
- To connect Mentees to resources available at New York University.
- To aid students in developing positive connections within the broader NYU community.
- To create a positive support system for academic success, professional and social development.
- This is program is for the full academic year.
- Attend ALL FOCUS group events, beginning with the opening reception.
- Establish and maintain monthly face-to-face meetings between Mentors and Mentees.
- Maintain a biweekly communication schedule (email, phone calls) between Mentors and Mentees.
- Complete program surveys & other assessment materials.