(F1-J1 Visa holders, please see below.)
Students who maintain other insurance coverage that is equal to or greater than that of the Basic Plan may choose to waive the NYU-sponsored plans by the appropriate deadline.
University Criteria for Waiving the NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plans include:
1. The insurance company must be headquartered and operating in the U.S., with a U.S. claims address and customer service telephone number. (LS Freshman Abroad students, see below.*)
2. The insurance coverage must remain in effect from:
|Semester||Insurance Effective Dates|
|Fall||August 21st through August 20th of the following year|
|Spring||January 9th through August 20th|
|Summer||May 14th through August 20th|
3. The plan must provide inpatient hospitalization benefits in the New York City area, including mental health benefits.
4. The plan must provide outpatient benefits in the New York City area (including office visits, outpatient mental health benefits and laboratory and radiology procedures). Coverage limited to emergency care does not satisfy the requirement.
5. The maximum benefit payable under the insurance plan must be at least US$500,000 per condition.
* For students in the LS Freshman Abroad program, their insurance company or government-issued health plan must be headquartered in their home country.
Additional waiver information for F1-J1 Visa Holders Learn more...
The following information should be available before beginning the online waiver process during the appropriate time period (see below):
|If your first semester of the academic year is:||The online system becomes available:||The deadline for enrolling in the Plans is:|
|Fall ||June 25||September 30|
|Spring ||November 12||February 10|
|Summer ||April 1||June 5|
International students with F-1 or J-1 visa status should click here to find additional information about waiving the Student Health Insurance Plans
|If your first semester of the academic year is:||The semester deadline for enrolling in or waiving the Plans is:|
|Fall ||September 30|
|Spring ||February 10|
|Summer ||June 5|