Health insurance is required by the University and is a necessity in the United States because of the very high cost of healthcare. When you are registered for classes, you will be charged automatically for the NYU-sponsored Comprehensive Plan. You will remain enrolled in that plan unless you complete the online enrollment/waiver process at www.nyu.edu/health/insurance before the semester deadline.
If you maintain other insurance coverage that is equal to or greater than that of the Basic Plan, you may choose to waive the NYU-sponsored plans.
Your waiver will not be processed until Student Health Insurance Services confirms that your insurance plan meets the University’s requirements. To avoid being obligated to pay for two health insurance plans, please do not purchase another health insurance plan before it is approved.
Some examples of comparable coverage include:
1. The insurance company must be headquartered and operating in the US, with a US claims address and customer service telephone number.
2. The insurance coverage must remain in effect from:
|Semester ||Insurance Effective Dates |
|Fall ||August 21st through August 20th of the following year |
|Spring ||January 9th through August 20th |
|Summer ||May 14th through August 20th |
3. The plan must provide inpatient hospitalization benefits in the New York City area including mental health benefits.
4. The plan must provide outpatient benefits in the New York City area (including office visits, outpatient mental health visits and laboratory and radiology procedures). Coverage for emergency only care does not satisfy the requirement.
5. The maximum benefit payable under the insurance plan must be at least US$500,000 per condition. The insurance plan must include coverage for medical evacuation of at least US$15,000 per year; repatriation of remains of at least US$7,500 per year; and a deductible not to exceed US$500 per year.
The following types of insurance plans will not be acceptable for waiving the NYU plans:
After completing the online waiver process at www.nyu.edu/health/insurance, you must submit insurance plan documentation to Student Health Insurance Services for review. Plan documentation must include:
(Your plan may not be accepted based on the information provided.)
Documentation may be submitted:
NYU Student Health Insurance Services
726 Broadway, Suite 346
New York, NY 10003