NYU SHC Fee Structure
ALL MATRICULATED NYU STUDENTS HAVE ACCESS TO CARE AT THE STUDENT HEALTH CENTER (SHC), 726 Broadway, New York, NY whether they are enrolled in NYU Student Health Insurance Plan or maintaining alternate health insurance coverage. Many services are provided at no cost such as:
- primary care and women’s health office visits*
- some commonly performed laboratory tests
- short term counseling
- wellness and health education services
- starter doses of common medications
*There are fees for some procedures and laboratory tests that may be performed during these visits. There are also fees for evaluation and procedures performed by an SHC physician specialist.
- Sample of Services (PDF) chart shows sample list of free and billable SHC services.
- Sample Fees (PDF) chart shows the cost of some additional common services provided at SHC.
- Examples of Fees for SHC Visits (PDF) shows different scenarios of SHC office visits, their associated fees, and the out-of-pocket expense for the student.
Billing for Services Received at the Student Health Center
For services that are typically covered by insurance, NYU SHC will bill students’ health insurance plans.
- Students who maintain health insurance plans other than the NYU-sponsored plans must provide a copy of the front and back of their health insurance ID cards at the time of service in order for the bills to be sent to their health insurance carrier.
- If the insurance plan does not cover the service, or does not pay the entire bill, the student is sent a statement indicating the remaining unpaid balances. The insurance company’s reimbursement is a contractual agreement between the insured student and the insurance company. Any concerns about the reimbursement rate should be addressed between the insured student and insurance company.
- Students are responsible for any unpaid balances.
- Cash, personal check, Campus Cash, or credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express) are acceptable methods of payment.
- All overdue accounts are transferred to the Bursar for collection. Uncollected accounts may bar students from registering for classes, graduating or receiving transcripts.
If you anticipate problems paying your portion of the SHC bill, please contact SHC Patient Accounts at +1 (212) 443-1010 or email@example.com.
Understanding Your Health Insurance Plan
As a patient, it is in your best interest to understand your insurance plan benefits and your responsibility for any deductibles, co-insurance, or co-payment amounts, referral or pre-certification requirements (PDF) prior to any visit.
To find out what your insurance plan covers and what your financial obligation may be, call the Customer Service or Member Services Department of your insurance company (the phone numbers are on your insurance card). Students enrolled in the NYU-sponsored Basic, Comprehensive or GSHIP plans should review the Student Health Insurance Handbook (PDF) about the details of their insurance coverage.
The NYU Student Health Center (SHC) is an in-network provider under:
- the NYU and NYU Poly Student Health Insurance Plans and
- most United HealthCare plans in the tri-state area (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut).
SHC is an out-of-network provider under other health insurance plans, including other plans that utilize the MagnaCare and MultiPlan network.
Insurance companies typically cover a smaller percentage of costs when services are provided by out-of-network providers.