New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Summer Health Reminders

Please take note of these important reminders regarding accessing health care during the summer. There is also important information for you if you are graduating, about transitioning your health care needs and understanding your insurance options as you leave NYU.

Graduating this semester? Click here for important information.

Hours of Operation during Summer

1. What are the Student Health Center hours of operation during the summer?

The SHC hours of operation change during the summer (click here for the hours).

Medical and Counseling Services

1. I am staying here this summer. Do I still have access to services?

Yes, if you have not graduated and you are returning to class in the fall, you have the same access to services as you do during the fall and spring semesters. (Click here for important information regarding urgent medical or mental health care when the SHC is closed).

Please Note: If you are graduating AND have a medical or mental health condition that requires continuing care OR need a prescription renewal, you will not be able to utilize these services after May 31, 2015.

2. I saw a healthcare provider recently and need follow-up care and I am leaving for the summer. What should I do?

Get follow-up care now from an SHC health or mental health care provider for any services at SHC that cannot wait until you return from the summer. Please do not wait until the last minute or we may be unable to accommodate you.

For Medical Services: Call (212) 443-1000 or log on to

For Mental Health Services: Call (212) 998-4780

3. What should I do if I have an urgent medical or mental health need or emergency after hours or on a holiday when the SHC is closed?

While SHC is closed, in case of a life or limb-threatening emergency, dial 911 to contact local emergency services.

Urgent Medical Needs:
 When the SHC is closed, call the SHC main number, (212) 443-1000 to speak with a triage nurse. He or she will speak to you about your symptoms and recommend an appropriate course of action.

Urgent Mental Health Needs:
 When the SHC is closed, call the Wellness Exchange hotline at (212) 443-9999 or NYU Public Safety at (212) 998-2222. NYU has a team available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, dedicated to assisting students with urgent needs including counseling, hospital transport, coordination of care, and follow-up.

4. What if I need to speak with a counselor when SHC is closed?

When SHC is closed, call the Wellness Exchange hotline at (212) 443-9999. Counselors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide support. An NYU Crisis Response Counselor (CRC) is always on-call to manage any urgent concerns. 


1. How do I get more contact lenses and supplies before leaving for the summer?

If you get your disposable or other contact lenses at SHC Optometry Services, check to ensure that you have enough contact lenses and related supplies to last you through the summer. Call Optometry Services at (212) 443-1260 for assistance.

If you need a new prescription or your annual eye exam before next Fall, call SHC Optometry Services at (212) 443-1260 for an appointment before you leave for the summer.


1. Can I get medication at the SHC Pharmacy during the summer?

Yes the SHC Pharmacy is open in the summer (click here for summer hours of operation) but if you are planning to leave for the summer keep the following in mind:

If you are currently taking medication (for example: antibiotics, antidepressants, asthma medication, birth control pills) prescribed by a health care provider at SHC:

  • Be sure you have enough medication to last until you return in the Fall.
  • If you do not have enough, or think you might need an extra prescription for a medication that you take on an on-going basis:

    - Make an appointment, or
    - Send a secure message by logging on to

Important Note: If you are unable to pick up a refill of your medication before leaving this summer, you can have your prescriptions transferred to another pharmacy (see #4 below to learn how to transfer a refill of your prescriptions).

2. I am traveling abroad this summer. How do I get more than one month’s supply of medication?

If you are traveling abroad and need more than a one month supply of medication and you have insurance through NYU:

  • Please contact CHP at 877-373-1170 a few days prior to your departure date so an override can be placed in their system.
  • After you receive an email confirmation from CHP, call the pharmacy and let the staff know how many months were approved.
  • If you have private insurance, please contact them and verify what their procedures are for travel overrides.

3. How can I refill my prescription before I leave for the summer?

To refill your prescription before summer break, stop by the Pharmacy during regular business hours – click here for hours.

4. If I can’t get into the Student Health Center before I leave for the summer, how do I transfer prescriptions to my hometown pharmacy?

To transfer a refill of your current prescription from the SHC Pharmacy to your hometown pharmacy:

- Please contact the pharmacy in your hometown where you want your prescription transferred.
- Provide your pharmacy with the name of the medication.

- Ask them to call the SHC Pharmacy at 212-443-1050.

Student Health Insurance

1. What if I need medical care when SHC is closed and/or I am not in NYC?

If you are enrolled in an NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan (Basic, Comprehensive, and GSHIP Plan) and require non-emergency* medical attention while SHC is closed, or if you are not in NYC, you may visit a health care provider without an SHC referral.

Seeking services from providers in the MagnaCare or MultiPlan Networks will reduce your out-of-pocket expenses. You can locate a MagnaCare or MultiPlan provider at

For plan benefits, please access or call Consolidated Health Plans, the insurance plan administrator, at 1-877-373-1170.

* In case of a life or limb-threatening emergency while SHC is closed , dial 911 to contact local emergency services. No SHC referral is required.

Have a safe and healthy Summer!

Quick Links

Student Feedback
NYU Footer