- Regularly stay informed by following the news.
- Identify an underground shelter, basement or safe room. If none is available, a small windowless interior room or hallway on the lowest level of a sturdy building is the safest alternative.
- Find a local emergency shelter and know the best routes to get there if you need to.
- Seek shelter in a basement, or sturdy building.
- Stay away from windows and do not go to large open rooms such cafeterias, gymnasiums, or auditoriums.
- Stay away from bridges/highway overpasses.
- Do not go outside until the warning has passed.
- Continue to listen to local news for updated information and instructions.
- If you evacuated, return only when authorities say it is safe to do so.
- Let friends and family know you are safe.
- Contact local authorities if you see power lines down. Stay out of damaged buildings.
- If you come across people that are injured and you are properly trained, provide first aid to victims if needed until emergency responders arrive.