- Participate in fire drills.
- Know where emergency exits are located on your floor.
- Know where fire extinguishers are located on your floor.
- Know where your fire alarm pull stations are located.
- Know your evacuation meeting locations.
- Do not block exits, hallways, or stairs.
- Do not remove, cover, or tamper with smoke detectors or fire alarm systems.
- Do not tamper with sprinkler or standpipe (fire hose) systems, including blocking access, hanging objects from them, removing components, turning valves, etc.
In the event of a fire, or if you smell smoke, the acronym R.A.C.E. provides a guide to follow:
R - Rescue - Rescue people in immediate danger.
A - Alert - Pull the fire alarm and call 911 from a safe location.
C - Contain - Close all doors and windows.
E - Evacuate/Extinguish - Evacuate building and extinguish small fires, if it is safe to do so.
Other safety procedures you should remember in a fire include:
- Always exit when the building fire alarm activates on your floor.
- Use stairs not elevators to evacuate during a fire emergency.
- Unless otherwise directed, report to the designated assembly area during all drills and emergencies.
- Immediately inform emergency responders or NYU staff if you are aware that someone is missing.
- For emergency information at other sites around NYU’s global network, contact the site director.
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) fire safety information