During Phase 1, students will also be able apply for Special Interest Housing, opt into Gender Neutral Housing, and/or create a Room Selection Group. These are optional and do not need to be completed to secure housing for the 2013-2014 academic year.
If you are interested in Special Interest Housing (i.e. Explorations, The Residential College, Choices, Green House, International House) you will be able to submit a Special Interest Housing application during Phase 1.
If you are also registering a room selection group during Phase 1, please be aware that all members of the group must also apply for Special Interest Housing for your applications to be considered. If all members do not apply for Special Interest Housing, the entire group will not be considered for placement into any Special Interest Housing community.
Students accepted into Choices, Explorations, The Green House, The International House, The Residential College and The Senior House will be able participate in Phase 2: Room Selection. Students in these communities will only be able to select spaces allocated to these programs.
Students placed into Fraternity and Sorority Life communities will be contacted by the Office of Residential Life & Housing Services with specific information regarding room selection.
This year, students will be able to opt into a Gender Neutral Housing process. This will allow students to form room selection groups and/or select spaces without regard to legal sex. Students who choose this option must meet certain requirements intended to maximize the housing options available to all students (i.e. all space in the room/suite must be assigned to students who indicate this preference or the room will default to a legal sex designation). More information about how this new policy will affect group registration and room selection will be available in early-March.
A group may contain 2 to 6 group members. Students who wish to register for room selection as a group should be aware of the following information:
- Groups will submit one group name only. Up to 6 students can submit their names together as one group. They must be of the same legal sex or have the opted into the Gender Neutral Housing process.
- Group members must have the same Special Interest Housing preferences.
- Students may only register as part of one group at a given time.
- Only one person within the group will create the group name and password and thereby is designated the Group Leader (see specific information below). The Group Leader will be able to select for the group in Phase 2: Room Selection process.
- Each member is responsible for adding themselves to the group created by the group leader. To add yourself to a group, you will need the group name and password, which should be provided by your group leader.
- Students who wish to create a group with students with a different priority status, will have their priorities averaged. Therefore, a priority 1 student and a priority 3 student choosing to live together will enter room selection with a priority 2 group standing. All room selection group priority numbers will be between 1 and 3, but may not be a whole number.
- All members of the group will receive the same selection time. If the Group Leader is unable to select a room for the entire group, each individual member may split from the group to select their own space.
The Group Leader is the person who creates a group for others to join. The Group Leader will be able to select for the group in Phase 2: Room Selection process. If the Group Leader is unable to select a room for the entire group, each individual member may split from the group to select their own space.
Before registering, groups should discuss whom they wish to assume the responsibility of being the group leader. Do not select a group leader who may be studying abroad for the Fall 2013 term.