About the Awards
The purpose of the President’s Service Award is to recognize the distinguished achievements of undergraduate, graduate, and professional students and student organizations for their commitment to civic engagement and service in local communities across the University's global network or for their promotion of learning, leadership, and quality of student life at New York University.
Any NYU student, faculty, or staff member may nominate an NYU student for a President's Service Award. Before nominating please review the criteria & eligibility requirements below.
President's Service Awards are given to students or student organizations that have had an extraordinary and positive impact on the University community, including achievements within schools and departments, the University at large, local neighborhoods, and NYU's presence in the world. Successful nominations should demonstrate that the student or organization has made a significant and positive contribution to the University in one of the following two areas:
Community Service and Civic Engagement
Past examples of Community Service and Civic Engagement:
- Working in soup kitchens or homeless shelters.
- Organizing the re-painting of homes in New Orleans post Hurricane Katrina.
- Tutoring at-risk students in public elementary schools.
- Fundraising for an organization that provides clean water technology to under-served communities across the world.
- Founding a student-run non-profit that provides resources to a number of community service organizations.
Student Leadership and Campus Programming
Past examples of Student Leadership and Campus Programming:
- Implementing a new program that brings multiple Residence Halls together.
- Founding a magazine that details experiences of NYU student across the global network.
- Going above and beyond as chair of a student lead task for seeking ways to welcome international students to Washington Square.
- Crafting a cohort program that pairs upperclassmen with incoming freshmen and transfer students to orient them to the school and the NYU experience.
- Significant achievement and leadership in a multi-campus poetry slam competition.
The following are eligibility requirements that must be met by each nominee:
- Nominees must be in good academic standing (as defined by the nominee's academic unit).
- Nominees must be registered during the semester the award will be given, or have graduated the previous December or August.
- Nominations should be based on achievements that date from February of the previous year; for the 2016 awards, nominations should be based on achievements between February 2015 and February 2016.
- Nominated organizations must be currently registered with the Center for Student Activities, Leadership, and Service or with a school or department.
- Typically, work done as part of a compensated role is not considered, however extra-ordinary achievement by a student who goes above and beyond the normal expectations of work may be considered. Please indicate in your nomination if this is the case.
- Current NYU faculty, staff, and students are eligible to nominate a student for a President's Service Award; self-nominations will not be accepted.