Skip to All NYU Navigation Skip to Main Content

International Visa Requests

International guests who plan to attend the Commencement ceremony may need to apply for a U.S. Visitor Visa (B-2).

U.S. visa policy can be found at Information about applying for a visa is available at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where the visa application will be made ( Applications will need to show that the visit to the U.S. is temporary, that there are adequate finances to cover the trip, and that they intend to return to their home country (proof of ties such as job, family, property or other commitments).

You might need to send supporting evidence for your guest:

  1. A letter of invitation from you in English to your guest. Include the guest’s name, your relationship to the visitor, the length and dates of the visit, and the purpose, e.g. to attend Commencement. In some countries or if your guest has a common name, including the person’s birth date and passport number may help the embassy verify that the letter is for your guest. If your guests are staying with you and will not need a hotel, state this in your letter to help demonstrate financial support for the trip.
  2. A letter from the Office of the University Registrar verifying your graduation status and Commencement date. You must have applied to graduate prior to requesting the letter. Complete a request form at the Office of the University Registrar, StudentLink Center, 383 Lafayette Street, 1st floor, or send a written request to Graduation Services, P.O. Box 910, New York, NY 10276-0910, fax 212-995-4558. (Students from Law, Dentistry, Medicine or Stern Graduate, please contact your individual school’s Registrar’s Office.) The request must include your name, ID number, email address, phone number, school, anticipated degree, and number of copies requested (we recommend 1 copy for each international guest). The letter will be available for you to pick up from the Student Services Center within 5 business days of receipt of the request.
  3. If you are an international student, evidence of your visa status may be helpful.