Invitations for the All-University Commencement are mailed to all those who have received degrees or advanced certificates of study in September 2016, and January 2017, and to those who are degree candidates for May 2017. Invitations will be mailed the third week of March to your address on record with the Office of the University Registrar. (If you have moved, please be sure to update your address with the Office of the University Registrar.) May candidates must apply for graduation by February 6th in order to receive an invitation.
Please note that receipt of a Save-the-Date card and/or an invitation should not be considered official notice of graduation. Such notice must come from the Office of the University Registrar.
If you have not received your invitation by Wednesday, April 12, please verify your address at the University Registrar's Office.
Visit the Registrar's website for information regarding graduation application deadlines. See below for Registrar office addresses.
StudentLink Center (Manhattan)
383 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10003
StudentLink Center (Brooklyn)
5 MetroTech Center
Dibner Building, Room 201
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Law, Medicine, Dentistry, and Stern Graduate students should contact the corresponding Registrars' offices:
Office of the Registrar
421 First Avenue, Rm. 1034W
Carla Thomas — 212-998-9819
Records and Registration
245 Sullivan Street, Ste. 400
Office of Registration
545 First Avenue, Ste. 6M
Maureen Doran — 212-263-5291
Records and Registration
44 West Fourth Street, Rm. 6-100
Address Change, Graduation Status, and Diplomas
Diplomas are mailed to the graduates' permanent addresses by the Office of the University Registrar approximately eight weeks following the date of graduation. For further information regarding diplomas, contact the Office of the University Registrar.
As approved by the University’s Deans Council, candidates for graduation who have up to two courses outstanding to complete their degrees may petition their school dean for eligibility to participate in the All-University Commencement. The two courses must be completed by the end of the summer. Students with extenuating circumstances (for example, international students whose visas expire or who are subject to travel restrictions) will have their situations reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Please note that not all schools allow for Dean’s Exceptions (i.e., School of Law, School of Medicine, and College of Dentistry).
- Students must:
- obtain a Dean’s Exception form from their school’s designated academic officer (click here to view the list)
- completely fill out and sign the form
- bring the completed and signed form back to their school’s designated academic officer for verification and an approval signature
- In addition to verifying the accuracy of and signing off on the Dean’s Exception form, the designated academic officer should give the student an All-University Commencement invitation.
- The Dean's Office should keep a copy of the completed form for its records and for verification purposes.
- Dean’s Exceptions WILL NOT be able to order All-University Commencement tickets in advance, but must follow the in-person request procedure outlined on the Dean’s Exception form.
- The student must submit the completed and signed Dean’s Exception form when picking up his/her Commencement tickets at the Kimmel Center beginning Thursday, May 11. PLEASE DO NOT COME BEFORE MAY 11. Your request cannot be honored.
- PLEASE DO NOT COME TO KIMMEL WITHOUT THE COMPLETED, SIGNED FORM. Your request cannot be honored without it.