Wednesday, May 17, 2017 (TBC)
The schools and colleges of New York University join together in celebrating one Commencement ceremony each year. This invitation is extended to all graduates and degree candidates for the 2016-2017 academic year.
On Wednesday, May 17 (TBC), the NYU community will join together to celebrate the achievements of the Class of 2017 at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, New York.
With banners flying and wearing their violet caps and gowns, the Class of 2017 will make history as it graces the stands of Yankee Stadium for New York University's 185th Commencement Exercises.
The ceremony includes a presidential address, a student speaker, the awarding of honorary degrees to a number of distinguished individuals, and the conferring of degrees and certificates by the president of the University only after all classes have been recognized by their deans. The program concludes with the ceremonial passing of the University torch.
The University will continue its tradition of officially announcing the names of the honorary degree recipients shortly before Commencement. Because over 8,000 students are expected to attend, it is not possible to recognize each individual by name. Instead the deans will introduce each class as a whole and a representative selected in advance will receive a symbolic diploma for degree categories. All students are required to stay until ALL schools' class representatives have received their symbolic diplomas. OFFICIAL conferring of degrees for ALL schools will follow.
(Diplomas are mailed to the graduates' permanent addresses by the Office of the University Registrar approximately eight weeks following the date of graduation.)
In addition to the All-University Commencement, each of the 17 schools and three programs may host individual school graduations and/or receptions. These smaller, more intimate ceremonies are held at various venues at the University and around New York City.
The University welcomes the friends and families of the Class of 2017 and extends heartfelt congratulations to our graduates.
Yankee Stadium Security Policies
Entry and Carry-In Policy
Safety is the No. 1 priority at Yankee Stadium, and the Yankees will take every reasonable step to provide a secure and enjoyable environment for everyone entering the Stadium.
In addition to the presence of security personnel and uniformed police officers throughout the Stadium, the Yankees administer several important security measures in accordance with Major League Baseball security regulations and in conjunction with local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
Inspection points have been established at all Stadium entrances. The Yankees reserve the right to inspect any bags, clothing or other articles prior to entry into the Stadium and prohibit entry or require removal of any items at their sole and absolute discretion.
NOTICE: For the safety of every Guest, all persons specifically consent to and are subject to metal detector and physical pat-down inspections prior to entry. Any persons or property that could affect the safety of Yankee Stadium, its occupants or its property shall be denied entry. Guests may bring into the Stadium one soft-sided bag no larger than 16 inches by 16 inches by 8 inches.
Guests may not carry the following into the Stadium
- any bag larger than 16 inches by 16 inches by 8 inches
- hard-sided bags or containers of any size
- glass, cans, aluminum bottles or thermoses
- laser pens
- selfie sticks
- mono/tripods or other professional camera equipment
- video cameras or other equipment designed for the sole purpose of video and/or audio recording
- laptop computers
- firearms, knives or weapons of any kind
- illegal drugs or substances
- brooms, poles, staffs or sticks
- baseball bats of any size
- television sets, excluding television substitutes such as tablets
- animals, with the exception of service animals to aid Guests with disabilities
- air horns or other distracting noisemakers
- any devices that may interfere with and/or distract any sports or event participant, other Guest, audio or audio/visual telecast or recording of the game or event, or any technology-related service provided in the Stadium
- helmets (e.g., bicycle helmets, motorcycle helmets or baseball helmets)
- masks or costumes
- projectiles (e.g., flying discs or beach balls)
- aerosol cans (e.g., mace, pepper spray, hairspray or sunscreen)
- confetti or glitter
- visible obscene, indecent or inappropriate clothing
Such items will be prohibited from being brought into the Stadium. There is no storage area for these items. Guests arriving by public transportation should take particular care not to bring any prohibited items, as no exceptions will be made.
The Yankees reserve the right to change or modify this policy without notice.
If, after carefully reviewing the Commencement section of the NYU.edu Web site, you still have questions about the All-University Commencement in Yankee Stadium, please call the Office of University Events at 212-998-6860.
If you have questions about your individual school ceremonies, please contact your school directly.