Ordering Academic Attire
Graduates and degree candidates who wish to participate in Commencement are required to wear academic attire. Academic attire specifically for NYU can be rented from Herff Jones, Inc. beginning Monday, March 13 at www.herffjones.com/college/nyu. The last day to order academic attire is April 11.
- Candidates from the following schools and programs must place their attire order online by Monday, April 3:
- Tandon School of Engineering
- College of Dentistry
- Steinhardt School Doctoral degree candidates
- Center for Urban Science and Progress
- Tandon School of Engineering
- Some schools have different procedures and will notify their students directly about these. Follow all instructions provided by your school. DO NOT DUPLICATE YOUR ORDER.
- Exchanges and/or corrections may be made to your academic attire when you pick it up at the Kimmel Center beginning May 9.
- Since the rented attire has been folded and placed in a bag for distribution, it is recommended that you pick it up in time to have it pressed before the ceremony.
- Academic attire distribution is not a function of the NYU Bookstore or of the Kimmel Center. Neither the Bookstore nor the Kimmel Center staff can accept any academic attire orders or changes to orders at any time.
Rental Fees According to Degree
(Sales tax included)
|Bachelor's and associate's cap and gown||$53.00|
|Master's cap, gown, and hood||$73.00|
|Doctoral (and LL.M.) cap, gown, and hood||$83.00|
Cap, Gown, and Hood Distribution
Academic attire must be picked up in person by the candidate at:
Kimmel Center for University Life
60 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012
You must bring your NYU ID to Kimmel.
|Tues, May 9||11:00am - 6:00 pm (on-time orders only)|
|Wed, May 10||11:00 am - 6:00 pm (on-time orders only)|
|Thurs, May 11||11:00 am - 8:00 pm|
|Fri, May 12||
11:00 am - 6:00 pm
|Mon, May 15||10:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|Tues, May 16||10:00 am - 4:00 pm|
No academic attire will be distributed on Commencement day.
If the degree candidate lives out of state or cannot pick up academic attire at the times allotted, a third party may pick up academic attire with the following documentation:
- Degree candidate's NYU ID, front and back
- Photo ID of the person picking up academic attire
- This PDF completed and printed
If, for some reason, it is impossible to get the candidate's NYU ID, you MUST submit a photocopy of BOTH SIDES OF THE NYU ID CARD. The N# on the reverse will be required.
If someone else is also picking up your All-University tickets, make two copies of these documents. One set will be collected as proof of third party academic attire pick-up and will not be returned to you.
There are several ways to return your academic attire. Remember to hold on to your academic attire until after your last use, either your school ceremony (if attending) or the All-University Commencement.
- Return at Yankee Stadium on Commencement Day: Return academic attire to Herff Jones, Inc. representatives at Gate 2 and Gate 8 by 2:30 pm.
- Return to on-site collection after your independent school ceremony: Herff Jones, Inc. will have collections bins available on-site after your ceremony.
- Return to collection bins in the Commuter Lounge on the 2nd floor of the Kimmel Center, 60 Washington Square South, during the following hours:
|Wednesday, May 17||9:00 am - 11:00 pm|
|Thursday, May 18||9:00 am - 11:00 pm|
|Friday, May 19||9:00 am - 11:00 pm|
|Saturday, May 20||9:00 am - 11:00 pm|
|Sunday, May 21||1:00 pm - 9:00 pm|
|Monday, May 22||9:00 am - 3:00 pm|
After Monday, May 22, if your school ceremony has already passed, you must mail academic attire back to:
1000 N. Market Street
Champaign, IL 61820
ATTN: NYU Returns
Herff Jones, Inc. will hold the renter financially responsible for unreturned items.