The fellowship program is open to all areas of study at the University. Individuals who meet one of the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- Individuals who have completed their dissertation within the last three years or who will have completed their dissertation by next year; or
- Professionals transitioning to academic careers (for those in a field for which the doctorate is not the terminal degree)
- Priority is given to candidates who do not currently hold postdoctoral fellowships or traineeships. As part of its selection process, our selection committee looks for evidence of superior scholarly achievement (honors, awards, publications), commitment to teaching and research, mention of a clear mentorship plan, and promise of continuing achievement as scholars and teachers.
- NYU does not sponsor visa application for this Fellowship. Fellowship recipients must provide proof of authorization to work in the United States.
- curriculum vitae;
- a statement of research and goals;
- a personal statement detailing reasons for applying for the fellowship;
- mentorship plan developed jointly with the proposed mentor (see below);
- three letters of nomination (with one of those letters to come from the proposed mentor at NYU); and
- one of the following: A dissertation abstract (postdoctoral applicants); or a statement of how your professional experience prepares you for a faculty position (professionals).
Applicants are strongly encouraged to research NYU's website and reach out to specific faculty members at NYU who might serve as strong mentors prior to completing the application. The mentorship plan should be developed jointly with the proposed mentor. It could include:
- opportunities for training afforded by the mentor;
- expectations for scholarly work to be completed with the mentor’s feedback or support;
- opportunities that the mentor may be able to provide to expand the Fellow’s professional network; and
- a timeline for implementation of the Fellow’s proposed goals or plan.
The application opens in approximately early- to mid-October. The deadline for submitting the online application is around December 5th each year. The deadline for reference letters is the same as the application deadline. Awards are announced on or about February 15th.
The 2018 application is now closed.