Digital Images & Collections
A small but growing number of the Tamiment Library's collections and portions of collections have been digitized and made available online.
- ARTstor Collections. More than 1,500 color posters from the United States and more than 30 countries and dating from 1904 to 1991, and 5,600 black and white images spanning the late 1930s through the early 1960s from the collection of District 65/UAW, a New York City-based labor union of warehouse, retail, and white collar workers are available via the subscription database ARTstor.
Remote as well as onsite access is available for researchers affiliated with NYU at: ARTstor's website. The collections may be found under "Browse -- Institutional Collections -- "United Automobile Workers of America, District 65 Photographs" Collection - Part I: Negatives" and "Tamiment/Wagner Poster and Broadside Collection." Researchers not affiliated with NYU may view these images while onsite at Tamiment only.
Read more about the Posters in ARTstor
Read more about the District 65 Photographs in ARTstor
- Fifteenth International Brigade Photographic Unit Photographs Collection, which documents the participation by American volunteers on the side of the Republican government in the Spanish Civil War. Some, but not all, of these digitized images may be reproduced.
- Fortunato Velona Graphics Collection (GRAPHICS 018). The Fortunato Velona Graphics Collection includes original caricatures and cartoons by Fortunato Velona, that are of, or relate to, prominent Italian-Americans and Italians in the Socialist, leftist, and liberal communities, prominent Italian and Italian-American figures more generally, as well as prominent figures outside of these communities. Many of the drawings are autographed by the persons caricatured. The collection also includes photographs and clippings. This collection is accessible via our Flickr page.
- Highlights in Flickr. See highlights from the library's books, serials, pamphlets, posters, photographs, manuscripts, buttons, and printed ephemera collections, either by subject or format, on our Flickr page.
- John Penley Papers (501). An exhibit of photographs from Tamiment's collection of John Penley's papers has been made available online via our Flickr page.
- Virtual Exhibits on a variet of topics such as the Rand School of Social Science; CPUSA: Ninety Years of History; Labor & The Holocaust: The Jewish Labor Committee & The Anti-Nazi Struggle; The Real Rosie the Riveter; Mick Moloney Irish American Music and Popular Culture Collection; Sam Reiss: Eyewitness to Labor History, 1948-1975; and other subjects may be accessed via our website.
- Tamiment Library Web Archive Project. Tamiment is part of a consortium led by the California Digital Library and funded by the Library of Congress’ National Digital Information and Infrastructure Preservation Program that is developing the curatorial and technical tools to preserve at-risk political websites. Read more.
- Upcoming: A project is currently underway to digitize The Masses magazine and the accompanying index to the publication created by Theodore Watts.